Looking for log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlieallardyce

Reaction score
Hi All,

Customers are In the market to buy a log splitter for their rental cabins as they burn through firewood like there's no tomorrow.
It needs to be able to tackle some fairly sized logs ranging around 50-90cm , although I'm happy to cut them down with the saw if need be. Majority of the trees are softwoods such a pine, fir and spruce. Ideally I would like it to be towable. Don't know a great amount about splitters and what sort of tonnage will suffice so I'm all ears

Thank you for any help

I have a Champion 27 ton splitter. It can do any size that you can physically get the round to in the vertical splitting configuration. I get tree service companies, when I need wood, to drop off all their limbs up to 20" max. There glad to do it. Running the splitter in the horizontal makes quick work of a load of wood. I push my splitter very hard to keep the ram moving in and out 90% of the time I using it.

Attachments

• IMG_20211203_090355520.jpg
    IMG_20211203_090355520.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20190209_103301436.jpg
    IMG_20190209_103301436.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20170105_174312536.jpg
    IMG_20170105_174312536.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20211025_074606045.jpg
    IMG_20211025_074606045.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Okay, I'll ask. What's their budget? I gave $475 for my used 27T MTD splitter a few years ago. A friend of mine cuts wood to heat his small barn occasionally, and for his aged father who heats primarily with wood. A couple of years ago, the dad bought a $20K splitter for the son to use. Its NICE, and would make short work of a 90cm log regardless of whether its pine or red elm.

Things I like in a hydraulic splitter:
In feed and outfeed tables - These don't have to be attached. They can build something free standing that sits and/or rests next to the machine.

Runs horizontal and vertical - I only run mine horizontally, but if they need to process rounds that are 3 feet across, and you're not availble to cut them in half (or quarters) for them, the vertical option is useful.

The ability to add a 4 way or 6 way wedge - Can really speed up the process, especially if the wood is often stringy which requires a full stroke of the ram to complete a split instead of just 3 or 4 inches.

Log lift is nice, but it adds a lot of cost. Just depends on how deep the pockets are.

it appears your in Scotland, the European splitters are a lot different then brands we have over here. A splitter in the 20 to 28 ton range will split most wood. I have a 28 ton that will run a 4 way wedge thru large oak and maple with no problem. Pine and soft wood splits pretty easy. A log lift really saves the back lifting heavy rounds. Maybe if you could tell us what brands are available and what models your looking at we could give our opinions which are free and not worth much.

Choosing a log splitter for your cabins can be easy! Since you'll be splitting softwoods like pine, a 6-ton to 10-ton gas-powered splitter will handle the job. Look for a towable unit with a trailer hitch for easy movement around your property.

Latest posts

Back