Thinking Of A Way To Hook Up My Generator

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
lost power today. what i need to do is run my central boiler and my forced air fan at my gas heater using my generator.
1. what i was thinking to do is somehow be able to unhook the wire that feeds the central boiler and the blower motor fan from the breaker panel then run it to the generator so i am not feeding back to the grid.
any ideas to do this simple without getting a gen. auto switch installed?

Do you have a 220 outlet in the garage or anything? Be sure to be safe and check with an electrician, but I believe you can cut the main breaker from the pole and hook your generator into this plug and it will backfeed into the house. Again, make sure you consult or hire an electrician b/c electricity isn't anything to mess around with.

generator boiler etc.

lost power today. what i need to do is run my central boiler and my forced air fan at my gas heater using my generator.
1. what i was thinking to do is somehow be able to unhook the wire that feeds the central boiler and the blower motor fan from the breaker panel then run it to the generator so i am not feeding back to the grid.
any ideas to do this simple without getting a gen. auto switch installed?

There are several threads on that type of installation/set up on the web page.

and it is not simple or really safe to do what you are describing.

A better option is to use a large amperage rated GFIC extension cord and outlet all in one unit to power the boiler entirely from the generator and not worry about opening breaker panel.

the lesser of two evils is to have 2 separate plug in circuits that can have a separate knife disconnect box to the appliance from the breaker panel-meaning having a separate outlet or two or three for each appliance that could be powered by a generator and not back feed into the electrical panel as the knifes of the disconnect are open and the cartridge fuses removed.

The hot side is (110-220) always on top of the knife disconnect as I remember.

The electricians who visit the board will correct my mistake if i made one.

leon :chainsaw: :givebeer: :popcorn:

we have several electricians here that help quite often

Last edited:
Yes, you can do that, and the authorities can tan your hide for it. Just make up a pigtail connecting the boiler to a plug and run an extension cord. Be sure and connect the ground. Many furnaces won't run without a ground to the power source. If you have nothing else on hand, chop the end off the extension cord and hardwire it into the boiler.

Long range, simpliest, cheapest, legal way, http://www.interlockkit.com/intro2.htm

You could also look into getting a transfer switch that would allow you to switch back and forth between generator and utility power.

linemen don't like folks hooking up generator power that could possibly feedback to the grid... that could get folks killed!

These type of threads make me wince......All options above will work, but safe or legal no way. I respect most idea's to save a buck, still the safety factor is most important. The best is to have a wirenut install a generator panel with a interlock for generator/utility feed select. Then on Gen. panel you could put the circuits for boiler, furnace, sump, frig. etc. But.....Expect to pay $1200 to $1500. There is no real good way but that to be safe and legal. Anytime someone wants to "backfeed" something, that's all good and well, till you forget to "open" switch, breaker, etc. Then when utility power is restored, there is a hell of an explosion, and you will need a new set of underwear, generator, loadcenter/fuse box, then a visit from local utility looking why there breaker tripped on there end???? Please, spend the money if possible, but really, no good legal/safe option but that.

Forgot to mention: Do a search on Generators here, you will find a couple of threads pertaining to Generators and there power quality problems. Yes they may put out 120/240 just fine, but if they don't put out 60hz. EXACTLY, you will fry your furnace control board. If you plan on buying a $400 one from big box, forget about it, Now buy a $600 Honda, your golden. So in the big picture, a gen-set and panel installed, plan on $1500+ in a hurry. Sad, but true.

Wrong. The http://www.interlockkit.com/intro2.htm is cheaper, easier to install, and gives better protection, and complies with Article 702 of the National Electrical code. Once connected, I have every circuit in the house available and no temptation or way to use a double male cord to add circuits. Not everybody should be poking around in their breaker box. If you have a couple of empty slots in the box, any decent electrician should be able to install it in a couple of hours or less. The biggest part of the job is running the power from the generator to the panel.

While $150 is a rip off for what you get, so is $250 for a 4 slot Gentran transfer switch. They are expensive and require rewiring the few circuits you get to new breakers.

Lab: What is wrong? Sure that interlock will work but now, average joe homeowner flips interlock, powers up Gen set, all is good huh? You Sure? No way, Now I have a panel with 10 to 30 branch circuits still turned on beggin for power, where is it coming from? This so called generator rated for 5000 to 6500 watts, get real. Your voltage drop will be huge, you'll cook more crap in that house in a hurry. NO electrical contractor will install one of those, unless the generator is the size of a Mack Truck! Also, you can't install a generic component in a name brand panel, all components are to be same name. Even though it is listed, still won't pass code I bet!

Last edited:
Discussed in great detail HERE a VERY SHORT while back...I don't mind being your search engine.....

Read it entirely and understand what you're doing....DO NOT kill anyone that's been working all night and day to restore your power...

Thanks wirenut. I copped most all the components of fleabay, got less than $500 in all the hardware. You know that's a steal.

There's far too many folks around these parts plugging their genny into their dryer outlet, with no thought to the outcome. I'm leading the charge to try to get people to do it right.

I said it in the other thread, and I'll say it again...some fellow's been fightin' the wind and cold and fatigue for a triple shift's time tryin' to restore your power...and in his haste forgets to hang his meter on a wire...boom...you've killed the guy...it happened here during an ice storm...

Don't mean to sound so dramatic...but it was right down the road, and a neighbor of mine was the culprit.

As I keep saying, the interlock allows the use of any circuit, not all of them. If somebody turns on too much stuff, if the generator overloads don't kick out, the 30 amp breaker it feeds through should. Those transfer panels give both the incentive and means to back feed to the main panel with a double male plug.

Not any particular neighbor...mind you...they were ALL back feeding.

I suppose in their defense they didn't know any better...still...there's a dead guy. :cry:

Those transfer panels give both the incentive and means to back feed to the main panel with a double male plug.

What are you talking about...I have the distinct feeling we are not on the same page...

This is where I'm coming from...

attachment.php

No, you can't backfeed without a meter...also, and I REALLY hate to say this...you won't backfeed IF your mains are OFF.

Big "IF" there...don't ya' think???

Is it worth a man's life IF you forget to pull a meter or turn off your mains???
Or your kid forgets? Or the neighbor your wife called over to help fire up the genny while you were away?

No, it is not. Just do it right. It's easy, it saves lives...win, win here dudes...

I've done it many times when the power has gone out. In fact had the generator running when they were working on fixing a broken line on my property. When they left there were no dead guys left behind.

Maybe linemen are like the military and loggers - they don't leave the dead behind.

Then again I don't cut with chaps either. :dizzy:

Anyway most people are smart enough to turn the main breakers on and off properly. The only problem comes from morons or when someone is messing with someone elses jerry rigging.

I have a 200 amp main shutoff right under the meter. Then from a welding outlet in my garage or shed I can backfeed the house, garage and woodshop simultaneously. Its nice to have lights in all you buildings when the power is out after dark.

The worst part with this method is not knowing when the power comes back on unless you can see your neighbors lights come back on since you are disconnected. I am going to wire up a low wattage light on the meter side of the shutoff so when the power is on it will be easy to tell. I also have one of those new fangled meters with the digital display so the display may tell me when the power is on and I won't ned a light.

Back