"Sharpen cutters on one side first"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brages

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
From the Oregon Chain tech guide:

Sharpen cutters on one side of the chain first. File
from the inside of each cutter to the outside. Then
turn your saw around and repeat the process for
cutters on the other side of the chain.

What's the reasoning for this? Lack of ambidextrosity?

I stick the saw in a vise and stand in front of it with the tip of the bar pointed straight at my chest. File one side, then flip the file around to the other hand to file the next cutter.

I'm using a file guide and holding onto the file with both hands.

Anything wrong with doing it the "wrong" way?

I stick the saw in a vise and stand in front of it with the tip of the bar pointed straight at my chest. File one side, then flip the file around to the other hand to file the next cutter.

I would say, whatever floats your boat. Or, in this case, gets your chain sharp.

Maybe consistency in the stroke, angle, downward force? Dunno.

I do do one side then the other. I've already got the file lined up and the saw positioned on the tailgate/stump/grinder for one side. Might as well get'r all done and then switch sides.

I think the reasoning is to keep a constant direction for most people. It is easier to setup one way and keep filing the same direction, angle, slope etc... than to go back and forth. I haven't tried it your way but I don't think I would have as good a result in keeping the file even and straight through the pass. Some people, alot it seems, have trouble doing it the "proper" way as it is.

But if you can switch hit consistently than whatever works for you. You could always setup a couple chains one filed your way and the other the Oregon way.

I would say, whatever floats your boat. Or, in this case, gets your chain sharp.

Maybe consistency in the stroke, angle, downward force? Dunno.

I do do one side then the other. I've already got the file lined up and the saw positioned on the tailgate/stump/grinder for one side. Might as well get'r all done and then switch sides.

:agree2:

Yup what he said!

If it works for you, then I'd say that there is nothing wrong with it.

I file one side complete, then the other side complete. I do not turn the saw around, I just switch hands.

The saw is usually on my tailgate, or on my bench at home and the tip is always facing away from me.

I haven't read of anyone else doing it this way, but it works for me so I use it.

The saw is usually on my tailgate, or on my bench at home and the tip is always facing away from me.

Oh, no, now I've got to figure out whether the tip should point towards me or point away.... :dizzy:

I didn't even THINK about that... :cry:

How well does your chain cut?

You know...if your chain throws chips and goes through the log keep doing what you're doing. I think that they are trying to appeal to the masses and the ones who are just learning.

What I think is good about your way is the fact that switching hands moves the pressure around on your body.

I do one side and then the other. I might have to give your way a try.:clap:

Dan

Oh, no, now I've got to figure out whether the tip should point towards me or point away.... :dizzy:

I didn't even THINK about that... :cry:

Just worry about finding a way that works for you and keeps your chain sharp. That's the real test as to whether or not you should adopt one method or the other.

:cheers:

I really never thought about sharpening chain any other way.... Seems that you get in a "rhythm" when you do all cutters on one side at once.
Another thing, and I'm sure that you all are the same, is that I only file on the push stroke, I completely remove the file from the cutter when I am on the back stroke. I don't nearly as much as a lot of you (10 cord per year) but I rarely if ever need to take my chains to a grinder for "straightening up".

That's enough talk about push stroke and back stroke... I hope Mrs. Tallfarmboy is in the mood tonight, LOL!:arg:

TFB

I really never thought about sharpening chain any other way.... Seems that you get in a "rhythm" when you do all cutters on one side at once.
Another thing, and I'm sure that you all are the same, is that I only file on the push stroke, I completely remove the file from the cutter when I am on the back stroke. I don't nearly as much as a lot of you (10 cord per year) but I rarely if ever need to take my chains to a grinder for "straightening up".

TFB

I agree with TFB 100%. couldn't say it any better myself!!!:clap:

I don't think you can see exactly what you are doing that way - I advice against it!

Last edited:
I

That's enough talk about push stroke and back stroke... I hope Mrs. Tallfarmboy is in the mood tonight, LOL!:arg:

TFB

Some files are meant to file in either direction, however all the chainsaw files I have seen are meant to file in one direction only.

If you look closely at the file you will see that the cutting teeth are sloped from the body of the file towards the end / tip of the file. If you drag it on the back stroke you will push those teeth down, sort of like folding over the fins on a car radiator.

I have only filed in the one direction on the cutters with my round files, but I ruined a couple of drag / raker flat files both filing in both directions, and it took a couple of ruined files for me to look at the file and think OMG what a dumbazz am I.:dizzy:

File in the proper direction and you will get a lot more life from you files!

Some files are meant to file in either direction, however all the chainsaw files I have seen are meant to file in one direction only.

If you look closely at the file you will see that the cutting teeth are sloped from the body of the file towards the end / tip of the file. If you drag it on the back stroke you will push those teeth down, sort of like folding over the fins on a car radiator.

I have only filed in the one direction on the cutters with my round files, but I ruined a couple of drag / raker flat files both filing in both directions, and it took a couple of ruined files for me to look at the file and think OMG what a dumbazz am I.:dizzy:

File in the proper direction and you will get a lot more life from you files!

http://www.saveedge.com/ref.html
Heres the tips page from save edge:)

If im near a vice i always sharpen with the powerhead to the right then turn it to the left that way if im doing the rakers i can hold the gauge with my left hand and dont need to turn the saw around again.

The file is turned around!

Another thing, and I'm sure that you all are the same, is that I only file on the push stroke, I completely remove the file from the cutter when I am on the back stroke.

TFB

He's not running the file backwards against the teeth. He turns the file around to file the other side.

brages "I stick the saw in a vise and stand in front of it with the tip of the bar pointed straight at my chest. File one side, then flip the file around to the other hand to file the next cutter.

I'm using a file guide and holding onto the file with both hands."

I think the sharpen one side and then the other advice is something you are almost forced to do if you are sitting on a stump trying to repair the dull teeth you just got from trying to slice a stone you didn't see.

So there you are with nobody, or nothing, to hold your saw 'cepting for a empty five gallon bucket turned upside down. So you sit yourself down and assume the position on one side of the bar, or on the other. You stick out your tongue a bit to one side, better yet, get a good chaw of terbaccy, and take a good look, with your best eye, at the angle of the saw teeth. Then match up your file to that angle, as best you can, and go to work. After that first tooth looks and "feels" right, why you just slide the chain ahead, skip one tooth, take a good spit, and tackle the next one with the same angle, and vigor. Why it almost gets enjoyable, especially if you're tired. And when you get one side done you just flip the saw around on the bucket and do it again on the teeth you skipped. when you get done you're right proud until you start to saw and the bar wants to make a sharp curve to the right.

That tells you that you got one of them angles wrong, and then you get to figure out which one. It's a lot O' fun, and can be rewarding, sometimes.

I think the sharpen one side and then the other advice is something you are almost forced to do if you are sitting on a stump trying to repair the dull teeth you just got from trying to slice a stone you didn't see.

So there you are with nobody, or nothing, to hold your saw 'cepting for a empty five gallon bucket turned upside down. So you sit yourself down and assume the position on one side of the bar, or on the other. You stick out your tongue a bit to one side, better yet, get a good chaw of terbaccy, and take a good look, with your best eye...

Nice little story I could picture the whole thing, kinda like Festus (sp?) from Gunsmoke with a file in his hand!

I find it much easier to have an extry chain on hand and swap the dang dinged one out for fixin at a later time back in the geerage.

Last edited:
I think the reasoning is to keep a constant direction for most people. It is easier to setup one way and keep filing the same direction, angle, slope etc... than to go back and forth.

+1

I don't think that the chain cares what order that the cutters are filed in, as long as they get filed the same. It's easier for me when filing or grinding to get into a rhythm doing one side, then the other.

It becomes an unconscious act. I like to mark the first link with crayon or black magic marker so that I don't space out and start going around a second time.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back