What's the best chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanSchamber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK guys I'm fairly new to AS so take it easy on me. Had a Question. Working on cleaning up a couple of logged out woods that have red oak,white oak, wild cherry and some ash in them. I'm running an 025 with a 23RC chain and a ms361 with 30RC chain from Bailey's. These chains are great for the money. Are there any better recommendations that would suit my need. The only downfall is occasionally getting in to some dirt which trashes them out quick. I got a couple of stihl chipper chains when I bought my 361 a couple months ago,not real impressed with them. I like to have pile of chips covering the ground when I'm cutting. There's nothing like chunking some quaility oak to feed the Heatmor. Thanks for the advice.

OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Super Comfort (RSC)
I have found it to be the best work chain you can buy right out of the box. Period

Bailey's rc chains are more than decent, Stihl is the best chain though. Look for some semi chisel chains, not as fast cutting as chisel (rc) but better at staying sharp. The best thing is to keep your chain from hitting the ground.

I'll throw a spanner in the works... CARLTON SEMI CHISEL.
Its been used/tested in dirty Aussie hard woods by a number of people and come out on top alongside Windsor. That means its shown to be tougher than Stihl, Oregon etc etc (in our somewhat harsh conditions anyway). In green wood I've found no real noticable difference between Carlton full chisel and Oregon LGX.
Not sure about the US but Carlton is also waaaaay cheaper than Stihl chain in Australia. About 30% per DL at least from dealers.

Also check what brand of saws the people own that are recommending Stihl chain! :popcorn:

Except Sawtroll, he's cool :)

Last edited:
I'll throw a spanner in the works... CARLTON SEMI CHISEL.
Its been used/tested in dirty Aussie hard woods by a number of people and come out on top alongside Windsor. That means its shown to be tougher than Stihl, Oregon etc etc (in our somewhat harsh conditions anyway). In green wood I've found no real noticable difference between Carlton full chisel and Oregon LGX.
Not sure about the US but Carlton is also waaaaay cheaper than Stihl chain in Australia. About 30% per DL at least from dealers.

Also check what brand of saws the people own that are recommending Stihl chain! :popcorn:

LOL - thank you! :blush:

...but I believe it is well known that Aussie conditions often are very special (harsh - with extremely hard wood and lots of dust) compared to most conditions elsewhere, so no wonder you prefere semi-chisel there...

Last edited:
I have used a fair bit of full chisel chain on clean wood and I prefer it. I was just hinting that Carlton's toughness is likely to extend across their whole range, full chisel included. I know their 3/8"LP chain flogs the equivalent Stihl in dirty wood for toughness.
The Stihl name "OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Super Comfort" also seems a tad gay to me. Whats meant to be super comfortable about a chain that can tear your leg off and rip big trees down in a flash?
Thats like calling a hand grenade cuddly.
Thats why I'll never buy it ;)

I really like Stihl RSC & RMC chain, that's almost all I run. I do have some Carlton too, it is also good chain. I guess not everybody can be as cool as Sawtroll.....:buttkick:

Last edited:
The Stihl name "OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Super Comfort" also seems a tad gay to me. Whats meant to be super comfortable about a chain that can tear your leg off and rip big trees down in a flash?
Thats why I'll never buy it ;)[/QUOTE]

:ices_rofl:

Prefer Stihl RSC in appropriate pitch and gauge.
See if the local Stihl dealer will sell to you at a discount if you buy enough loops at a time.

Second place, to Bailey's Woodland Pro 30 / 38 RC. Probably the best "value".

Take Care

Thats why I'll never buy it ;)

So you're saying you won't buy it because the name sounds gay.:confused: That's like not buying milk cause it's HOMOgenized.

Last edited:
I sell alot more of the Stihl chains then the Carlton at work but only because I can get it quicker from my Stihl dealer. I have used both and like them both.

I almost exclusively use stihl RSC or RMC, but i also have woodland pro, carlton, and oregon. The stihl seems to hold an edge better and stand up to a little more abuse. They all get the jobs done, but IMO the stihl chain just holds up better.

Ps. I even run it on my husky, echo, and dolmar.... So it isn't just a stihl thing.

You would be shocked how many Husky owners run Stihl chain. I guess it's better than the chain that Husqv,,,,,,,,,Oh that's right, Husky doesn't make any chain!

I would almost go as far to bet that stihl chain will out cut and out last
about any factory chain .I like full chisel skip on anything bigger than a 24''
bar .But i have only a fraction of time cutting compared to most on here.

Back