Repairing the oil passage on a Stihl 029 Super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hddnis

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The little nipple with the O-ring that the bar oil pump connects to was broken.
P1040902.jpg

P1040903.jpg

I removed the nipple from the oil pump and drilled it out with a 1/8" drill.
P1040901.jpg

You can see in this picture where I removed the orange press in plug. I removed it by putting a screw into the depression and then pulling it out with a pair of pliers. This allowed me to also drill out this passage to 1/8". It took a very long drill bit to reach in there because the case gets in the way of the drill with a standard bit.
P1040908.jpg

Here is the nipple with 1/8" automotive vacuum tubing press fit into it. The fit was very tight and it took some effort to get the nipple onto the tubing.
P1040905.jpg

This shows the nipple in place. The tubing has been pushed into the drilled out hole in the oil passage. I used a 5/32" bit to drill out the short passage from the bar side of the case. This was needed because the tubing covered that hole.
P1040907.jpg

This is the finished repair. I used a soldering iron to melt the plastic back together. I cut a nub off of the case that would not affect the structural integrity and used this little bit to build up the plastic. I worked slowly and built it up layer by layer.
I then melted the end of the tubing flush with the end of the nipple.
P1040909.jpg

With some trouble I pressed the plug back into the end of the oil passage.

I believe that the tubing would have worked by itself. The fit is tight enough that it would not have leaked.

When I get the rest of the saw back together we'll get to see if it works. The melting job is ugly but looks strong enough. It is difficult access to say the least.

Mr. HE:cool:

Thanks

I was going to use brass tube. The plan was to cut some barbs in it and then heat it up so it would melt its way into the plastic.

The vacuum tube was used because I found myself out of 1/8" brass tube.:bang:

Saw is all back together now and will be test run tomorrow if all goes according to plan.

I said
"good luck"
I hope it holds, that would be great.

I really didn't want to sell him one...........

Wouldn't you have to sell me the whole frame/tank? Or did you mean sell me a whole new saw?

Next new saw will be a 441. I just want to play with one.

On the list for parts saws or used to restore and mod are a 046 and a 064. Mostly because I like the numbers.:greenchainsaw:

If this fix doesn't work I'll maybe try the brass. If that doesn't work I'm just going to part the saw out. I know I'll make money parting it out, just something about parting out a saw that could run well that bugs me.

Thanks Rookie, this is the one!!!!!!

I must not have said "NIPPLE" in a low enough voice in my search

OOOOObabyyyyyyyy.

nipple..........................................................................

It's kind of silly, helping a guy not buy a crankcase from me..................

You're just a good person like that, we know, it shows through every now and again.:clap:

The little nipple with the O-ring that the bar oil pump connects to was broken.
P1040902.jpg

P1040903.jpg

I removed the nipple from the oil pump and drilled it out with a 1/8" drill.
P1040901.jpg

You can see in this picture where I removed the orange press in plug. I removed it by putting a screw into the depression and then pulling it out with a pair of pliers. This allowed me to also drill out this passage to 1/8". It took a very long drill bit to reach in there because the case gets in the way of the drill with a standard bit.
P1040908.jpg

Here is the nipple with 1/8" automotive vacuum tubing press fit into it. The fit was very tight and it took some effort to get the nipple onto the tubing.
P1040905.jpg

This shows the nipple in place. The tubing has been pushed into the drilled out hole in the oil passage. I used a 5/32" bit to drill out the short passage from the bar side of the case. This was needed because the tubing covered that hole.
P1040907.jpg

This is the finished repair. I used a soldering iron to melt the plastic back together. I cut a nub off of the case that would not affect the structural integrity and used this little bit to build up the plastic. I worked slowly and built it up layer by layer.
I then melted the end of the tubing flush with the end of the nipple.
P1040909.jpg

With some trouble I pressed the plug back into the end of the oil passage.

I believe that the tubing would have worked by itself. The fit is tight enough that it would not have leaked.

When I get the rest of the saw back together we'll get to see if it works. The melting job is ugly but looks strong enough. It is difficult access to say the least.

Post again and let us know how the repair worked out when the saw is back together. Thanks for the vivid illustration in the pictures. I look forward to hearing about the test run.

The repair is working fine for over a year now. The saw went to a church that uses it to cut firewood for charity, it sees pretty heavy use.

Back