Follow up photos from the December 08 New England Ice Storm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Mostly just pasting this from the fire service site I wrote the post for originally. One of my hobbies is documenting the history & current practices of forest fire fighting in southern New England. Historically our worst fire years follow severe disturbances by hurricanes or ice storms by 2 or 3 years. I'm real interested to follow up with the "living labratory" this storm has created.

Imagine having to make a fire line with rakes and brooms and indian tanks through this mess. I've got to think a lot of the trees still standing are dead men walking -- many are going to die over the next few years leaving a lot of trees that will be dangers for years to come in forest fires:
P3140005_small.jpg

P3140006_small.jpg

Woods road entering some of Worcester's reservoir lands. I'd expect the city to clean this up sometime this year, but how many woods roads and logging trails are similiarly stuffed up now and won't be cleaned for years?
P3140023_small.jpg

Different parcel of reservoir land near the last picture.
P3140030_small.jpg

The "missing" interior is all storm damage. I wonder why the trees along Route 56/122A weren't as badly damaged? My best guess is they got more sunlight so they had heavier growth. Weird!
P3140033_small.jpg

Back