Name this wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnf0929

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A friend of mine emailed this picture thinking I should know what it is. Have to admit I not too good at the wood id stuff yet. Can anybody help? Thanks!

attachment.php

Last edited:
I have some willow that has darker heartwood and almost white sapwood like that. However, I am no expert. Just a desk jockey who enjoys firewood.

Box elder. It's rated near the bottom of all "hardwoods" in heat content per cord. Once dry, it's about the same density as dry willow or basswood, and these are all perhaps a step above balsa. Some lathe turners like the vivid colors.

As it dries, it emits a heck of an odor that nauseates some people. Maybe that's what attracts the box elder bugs to it:
0998fig1.jpg

With that heartwood I would say boxelder too. I just split and stacked a good bunch of it. It was a bear to split by hand, and I wouldn't have thought so considering its btu's

box elder for sure. We have so much of that stuff around here on the fence lines it is valued more like a weed then a tree.

Back