Help with oak trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benmillermoore

Reaction score
Good Evening Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can help with oak trees that seem to be struggling on my property. One tree only puts out leaves that look weathered and unhealthy. The other will start with unhealthy leaves in the spring and then push out new, healthier leaves. Both trees are about 10 years old and seem to consistently struggle. Anyone know what I'm dealing with? I can send pictures if anyone feels like helping. [email protected]

Good Evening Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can help with oak trees that seem to be struggling on my property. One tree only puts out leaves that look weathered and unhealthy. The other will start with unhealthy leaves in the spring and then push out new, healthier leaves. Both trees are about 10 years old and seem to consistently struggle. Anyone know what I'm dealing with? I can send pictures if anyone feels like helping. [email protected]
hello, welcome to the AS! can you post any pix?

if they were mine, and per your description... i would give both some balanced feed, such as 13-13-13 well disbursed to get all of root circle. and water well and often for a while. see if any improvements. i have oaks both at ranch and here in neighborhood. at ranch, i had one go bad at trunk, i whittled on it, and did some unorthodox Rx... and low and behold, it all took and tree is still thriving many decades later. however, few pastures over, my neighbor has had to cut down oaks in frt yard due to disease! and where i live in the Big City... oaks abound! my oak firewood falls by the cord. i often only have to go and pick it up. other day this scrounge was ez pickin's. and most do nothing to them other than clean up the drops here n there. or if needs to be removed for one reason or another.

any other's in ur area with same probs?

zzzzxlg.JPG

Good Evening Everyone,

Pics would definitely help. What variety of oak?

As mentioned previously , pictures of the leafs & trunk bark & root base wood help . Oak especially Red Oak more so than White Oak can be sensitive to leaf & trunk fugus & also root rot if in a high water table area . Otherwise as BL mentioned seasonal application of a topical commercial fertilizer along with antifungal treatment to the base of the trees would certainly help with fungal gnats . Otherwise consult a local tree care or arborist outfit to narrow down the cause & effect , most often the root bulb is the primary cause of Grub infestation , "Grub Grenade" is a popular infestation treatment for gnats , grubs & weevils that can effect large deciduous species soils . Ontario harsh seasonal weather can challenge any tree species , Good luck !

hello, welcome to the AS! can you post any pix?

if they were mine, and per your description... i would give both some balanced feed, such as 13-13-13 well disbursed to get all of root circle. and water well and often for a while. see if any improvements. i have oaks both at ranch and here in neighborhood. at ranch, i had one go bad at trunk, i whittled on it, and did some unorthodox Rx... and low and behold, it all took and tree is still thriving many decades later. however, few pastures over, my neighbor has had to cut down oaks in frt yard due to disease! and where i live in the Big City... oaks abound! my oak firewood falls by the cord. i often only have to go and pick it up. other day this scrounge was ez pickin's. and most do nothing to them other than clean up the drops here n there. or if needs to be removed for one reason or another.

any other's in ur area with same probs?

View attachment 1111287
Thanks for the reply. Oaks seem to do good in my area. I'll try the feed option. Some pics below to consider.

Attachments

• 20230831_185830.jpg
    20230831_185830.jpg
    961 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230831_185835.jpg
    20230831_185835.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230831_185906.jpg
    20230831_185906.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Sounds like it could be to do with your soil quality. You say other oaks in your area seem to do well. Has your soil been exposed to any weed killers etc? Our trees and plants to the right of our property constantly struggle due to our neighbours using Roundup (hate the stuff). They go through ups and downs but never truly flourish.

The yellowing of your leaves is very characteristic of a condition called "iron chlorosis". This does not usually involve deeply curling leaves with scorched edges, as shown in your pictures. The curling edges are more often associated with herbicide damage or some insect infestations.

Some more questions to answer:

• Do you have alkaline soil, perhaps with plenty of limestone gravel in your area? This is the number one cause of oak leaf chlorosis.
  • How long have you been observing these symptoms? Iron chlorosis is not a sudden afliction, it goes on for year after year.
  • The scorched margins of the leaves are entirely consistent with hot, dry weather. Has it been hot and dry recently? Does your tree grow in an area of limited moisture, perhaps under pavement, or near a structure with lots of reflected heat?
  • PICTURES! We are unable to know a problem with just the leaves. Take a wide angle view of the tree and it's surroundings. Shoot some closer shots of the trunk, especially where it meets the soil. Be sure to include all sides of the tree. We can zoom in on a picture, but we cannot zoom out, so don't just take closeups.
  • Is there any pattern to the damaged foliage visible in the tree? Are all sides, top and bottom equally afflicted?
  • What is the history of any lawn treatments near the problem tree?
At the very least, you should collect a soil sample and get it tested. Be sure to sample at least 15 centimeters deep, and combine several samples around your tree.

Thanks! Might be soil quality. Might be weed killer too, we do live on a farm, but these trees are well away from the crops that are sprayed.

I'm sure you are aware of herbicide translocation then. Be sure to check all the trees nearby for similar signs. It might be helpful to tell us what crops are being grown and what herbicides might have been drifting in the wind.

We've got a bunch of farmers, so someone on this forum will be sure to be familiar with that particular topic. Myself, I only know the turf and ornamental herbicides, although many of them cross over into the ag products.

Consider: if your tree caught a nice dose of glyphosate from a spray treatment on a Roundup-ready crop, then you might be seeing chlorosis on your tree that hasn't been there before. Glyphosate works by inhibiting an enzyme involved in amino acid synthesis, ultimately disrupting protein production in plants. This can lead to chlorosis in plants because chlorophyll production, which relies on proteins, may be impaired.

You would almost certainly see it on other plants as well, had this problem originated from a herbicide drift.

A little research, and I have other potential herbicides to consider, several of which are common problems in poorly applied lawn fertilizers: Here are a few herbicides that have been associated with chlorosis:

1. 2,4-D (2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid): This is a common herbicide used for broadleaf weed control in lawns and agricultural crops. If oversprayed on desirable broadleaf plants, it can cause chlorosis and leaf distortion.
  2. Dicamba: Dicamba is another herbicide used to control broadleaf weeds in various crops. When it drifts or comes into contact with non-target plants, it can cause chlorosis, leaf cupping, and other symptoms.
  3. Atrazine: Atrazine is a pre-emergent and post-emergent herbicide used in corn, sorghum, and other crops. If it leaches into the root zone of sensitive plants or if there is overspray, it can lead to chlorosis and stunted growth.
  4. Imazapic (Impose): This herbicide is often used for weed control in non-crop areas. It can cause chlorosis and other damage if it contacts non-target vegetation.
  5. Sulfosate (Glufosinate): Sulfosate is used for broad-spectrum weed control in various crops. It can cause chlorosis, necrosis, and other symptoms in plants it contacts.
  6. Metribuzin: Metribuzin is a herbicide used in various crops, including potatoes and soybeans. It can cause chlorosis and leaf damage in susceptible plants if not applied properly.

Herbicide damage from farm chemicals is generally temporary to a healthy tree. You have said this is a ongoing issue so it would be best to consult your local forestry department

Back