Need New Chains...Recommendations???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eichen323

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This is my first post but I've been lurking for quite a while.

I have a Stihl MS-250c that i bought a bout 5 years ago and I'm in need of some replacement chains for it.
I can easily get new ones from my stihl dealer but I really don't want to pay almost $30/chain.

Any recommendations a where I can get some that work as well or better for less $ than the stihl brand?

Thanks in advance!!!

Not a logger or arborist here...Just a hobbyist. I've tried carlton, oregon & obviously stihl chains.
Yes, Stihls are more expensive, but IMO they hold their edge longer ie., are better tempered, high quality...

In order of preference...I buy Stihl, Carlton, then Oregon.

Don't buy the crappy oregon chains sold for $14.00 at Lowes...I bought one for my old Poulan and barely made it through 1/2 hour of cutting before it needed sharpening.

I paid about $24.00 for a carlton full chisel for a 20" bar.

Buy quality!!

Mark

$30.00 - 16" chain

Shop around at some more Stihl dealers. I bought a new .325 green label chain - 16" - for my 250C last week for $19.73 plus tax.

If I hear that this is unusually low as compared to other dealers I may go back and get a couple extra chains.

Nosmo

I'd recommend Woodland Pro (Carlton) chains from Bailey's for bargain hunters. It does seem like Stihl chains hold their edge longer from brand new, but once you start sharpening them they both seem about the same. Everybody has their own criteria -- I like Stihl chains but don't find them enough better to justify the cost.

Jack

Shop around at some more Stihl dealers. I bought a new .325 green label chain - 16" - for my 250C last week for $19.73 plus tax.

If I hear that this is unusually low as compared to other dealers I may go back and get a couple extra chains.

Nosmo

I wonder how much of the green chain the dealers sell -- wouldn't be surprised if your dealer got stuck with more than he wanted. But even so that's around 45% (before shipping) more than Woodland Pro 20-RC, $10.95 from Bailey's. That's more the equivalent of Stihl's "yellow" chain. Dunno if they have a chain with safety straps, I haven't looked for it.

Jack

I only use stihl chains and here they avarage about $1 and inch so that is real high shop around. Oh yeah dont buy the crappy safety chains (stihl green chain) unless your really new with chainsaws and dont feel safe with out the low kickback feature.

Last edited:
Stihl

There is another Stihl dealer that I have bought a few parts from and they do not stock the green chain -- only the yellow loops. The parts man whom I have known for over 60 years (went to grade school with him) told me we had too many complaints on the green loops so we no longer stock them.

Both my Stihl saws came with the green so I just stuck with those chains. They cut well enough for my use. I may be only an home owner who cuts his own firewood but I have been doing it for over 30 years.

Nosmo

Thanks for all the replies everyone.
I really don't have a problem spending the money on the stihl chains. I was just wondering what else was out there that might work as well.

I might give the woodland pro's a chance.

I have a Stihl MS-250c that i bought a bout 5 years ago and I'm in need of some replacement chains for it.
I can easily get new ones from my stihl dealer but I really don't want to pay almost $30/chain.

Any recommendations a where I can get some that work as well or better for less $ than the stihl brand?

Thanks in advance!!!

Call Bailys.

The Woodland pro/Carlton round chisel cuts and holds up on our MS-250 as well or almost as well as Stihl RSC, but for 11 bucks a 16" loop.

Best chain period I have found for my cutting needs with the 250, is Stihl RM though. But like you I pay 20 bucks a loop so it's a darn good thing it dosn't need the file as often as the others LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Call Bailys.

The Woodland pro/Carlton round chisel cuts and holds up on our MS-250 as well or almost as well as Stihl RSC, but for 11 bucks a 16" loop.

Best chain period I have found for my cutting needs with the 250, is Stihl RM though. But like you I pay 20 bucks a loop so it's a darn good thing it dosn't need the file as often as the others LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

:rock: YES baileys for sure, the woodlandpro is good chain at a awsome price.

Thanks in advance!!!

Welcome to AS.......
What part of Mn are you from? Most areas have several stihl dealers. you might want to shop around for another dealer and check prices.

Between firewood, sawlogs and contract cutting, we put a lot of miles on a chain. In my opinion the stihl RSC is the best quality on the market....... Now that doesn't always meen it's the best deal. I think for the price, the Carlton or Woodland Pro are good chains. I have had nothing but bad luck with Oregon chain. Another on the higher price side is the Husqvarna chain. A little cheaper than stihl, but stands up very well......

Good luck, Stay safe and Happy cutting.

Welcome to AS.......
What part of Mn are you from? Most areas have several stihl dealers. you might want to shop around for another dealer and check prices.

Between firewood, sawlogs and contract cutting, we put a lot of miles on a chain. In my opinion the stihl RSC is the best quality on the market....... Now that doesn't always meen it's the best deal. I think for the price, the Carlton or Woodland Pro are good chains. I have had nothing but bad luck with Oregon chain. Another on the higher price side is the Husqvarna chain. A little cheaper than stihl, but stands up very well......

Good luck, Stay safe and Happy cutting.

I'm south of the river in the Savage. There are plenty of dealers in the area. I just haven't shopped around that much. Again, I don't mind paying a few extra bucks for the stihl. I was mainly wondering if there were any other options out there that work as well. The consensus seems to be that stihl is about the best out there right now.

I'll pick up an RSC and a woodland pro and give them my own little trial.

Best value saw chain...

1. #1 Stihl Chain
  2. #2 Carlton Chain
  3. #3 Stihl on backwards
  4. #4 Carlton on backwards
  5. #5 Oregon Chain

+1

...except Oregon may run better than Carlton on bass ackwards. Not sure though. I run all Stihl 3/8 and Carlton picco 3/8. Baileys is cheap, but their shipping is spendy. May not be worth it unless you get some other stuff from them, like wedges and rims. I buy all my loops here from local saw dealers.

Last edited:
I get all my chain from baileys , even with shipping its about half what they cost at the local shop. I have been really happy with baileys, order about all my stuff from them and the shipping has always seemed pretty reasonable to me!

For instance my last order
2 grinder wheels
dressing block
2 wedges
4 chains
1 bar
1rim
1book
shipping was 10.94 pretty cheap id say!

Shipping Cost

Yes that shipping charge was very reasonable for those items. I'd hate to think what it would cost to drive from California (Bailey's) to Nebraska.

Nosmo

Baileys is cheap, but their shipping is spendy. May not be worth it unless you get some other stuff from them, like wedges and rims. .

True. I like to order at least $800 at a time to justify the shipping.

I buy all my loops here from local saw dealers.

Agreed! I use only Stihl, runs around $0.50 per link for the bigger saws/bars, more for the smaller saw/shorter bar.

I get all my chain from baileys , even with shipping its about half what they cost at the local shop. I have been really happy with baileys, order about all my stuff from them and the shipping has always seemed pretty reasonable to me!

For instance my last order
2 grinder wheels
dressing block
2 wedges
4 chains
1 bar
1rim
1book
shipping was 10.94 pretty cheap id say!

What chains you using? Shipping not too bad on that order.. but try shipping to Canada..! I will dig up my last few orders..

Order May 21st - Shipping $48.53
Order May 19th - Shipping $36.92
Order May 12th - Shipping $44.96
Order May 8th - Shipping $69.07

Think that is enough.. beginning to hurt me looking at it. But then again, my orders tend to be a few hundred dollars each.

Back