026 compared to 034

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ihookem

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have two saws, an 034 and it is a real screamer, so much more than my 026. The 034 excels in just a second or two. The 026 seems so geared up like a car taking off in second gear. It takes a lot longer to respond and I can easily stop the chain in wood with a 16" bar. My question is do you think I need a new carb? I had it tuned up a few years back but no improvement. It also stalls after idling a few minutes. Is this delayed response normal for the 026? I here so many here that just love the 026. Am I missing something?

Delayed response sounds an awful lot like too lean a low speed mix. There could be lots of issues, perhaps the Chainsaw forum guys could give you better advice.

Things to check: if it's bogging on cutting wood: Clogged exhaust screen, chain filed too aggressively (hooked cutter teeth, rakers ground too deep). Maybe just shoving it into the wood too hard? Not likely, but you never know.

Check the fuel filter; if it looks like anything other than perfect, replace it. This especially includes any warter or grey sludge looking stuff. Even if you think you ca clean it up, replace it. Also put a new spark plug in for kicks (they're cheap).

Carb adjustment: as you open up the low speed screw, the engine idles slower (sounds odd, but it's true). Screw in (tighten) the throttle screw to make up for openig the low speed screw so it keeps idling. Don't speed up the idle to the point that the chain starts moving. With a richer low speed mix, it should accelerate more smoothly to high speed when you press the throttle.

High speed might be off too, Unless you're reall good at tuning a saw by ear, best to leave that to a pro, someone with a tach. This assumes that newer saws even have carb adjustments? Could also be a pin hole in the fuel line.

Just a couple ideas. Check the exhaust screen, spark plug, low speed carb screws first though. Good luck.

I have two saws, an 034 and it is a real screamer, so much more than my 026. The 034 excels in just a second or two. The 026 seems so geared up like a car taking off in second gear. It takes a lot longer to respond and I can easily stop the chain in wood with a 16" bar. My question is do you think I need a new carb? I had it tuned up a few years back but no improvement. It also stalls after idling a few minutes. Is this delayed response normal for the 026? I here so many here that just love the 026. Am I missing something?

I've put many hours on 034's and quite a few on 026's to. The best 026 I've run is far from any of several 034's I run when it comes through screaming through the wood.
It does sound like you have a problem with the 026 though. If you have a good dealer or know someone that can pressure and vacume test it for air leaks , I would and also check the compression with a good gauge. Its my understanding a bad crankcase seal will cause loss of power. A bad impulse line often is the culprit of unstable rpm's and can cause a lot of problems also. I had a crack in a carb on a new saw once that caused a similiar problem also. All the previous mentioned things can be a part or most of the problem but you will know more what to expect out of your saw if you do the pressure,vacume and compression test.
A good running 026 works nice for limbing smaller wood and handles an 18" bar pretty well. Get into hardwood over 12" it slows down considerably faster then an 034.

Latest posts

Back