Stihl 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE on the Stihl 026. I ultra sonic cleaned the Walbro WT-194 carburetor and installed a OEM Walbro K20 kit. I put everything back together along with the AM air filter. I got her fired up and adjusted but still had a lot of gurgling at full throttle. I removed the carb cover and the Chi-Com air filter and she runs GREAT! I went through my bone pile of used parts and found a OEM air filter that is useable for the moment and she's back together. I would bet the seller of the saw gave up on her not knowing why the saw under performed. Anyway, I got a good deal and went over to eBay and bought a new OEM air filter! Chinese parts strike again!

UPDATE on the Stihl 026. I ultra sonic cleaned the Walbro WT-194 carburetor and installed a OEM Walbro K20 kit. I put everything back together along with the AM air filter. I got her fired up and adjusted but still had a lot of gurgling at full throttle. I removed the carb cover and the Chi-Com air filter and she runs GREAT! I went through my bone pile of used parts and found a OEM air filter that is useable for the moment and she's back together. I would bet the seller of the saw gave up on her not knowing why the saw under performed. Anyway, I got a good deal and went over to eBay and bought a new OEM air filter! Chinese parts strike again!

Choke was probably shutting on the AM filter.

I had one choke wouldn't close..........:angry:

I have also run into air filters that appear to not breath from fuel drying into them.
Anyway if you take off the filter and the rich condition goes away you will know that it's the issue.
Actually the one that came on this 026 was perfectly clean and new. The choke appeared to work correctly but I think the Chinese flocking material was too restrictive. Anyway, it is what it is, or rather was....JUNK!

I’m not sure if they have the same problem as the 260’s but keep it in mind in case. The 260’s have this crappy fuel pooling issue and they load up, die out easily at idle and don’t accelerate well. Some say it’s Intake manifold and the pleats, but I don’t agree since digging into it, it’s a straight tube with the same pleats as all the others. Some say it’s the step to the intake of the cylinder but mine has no step. I’m convinced it’s port shape, position or flow - it’s not conducive to moving air effectively at lower rpm.

Nope stihl has there own factory in China where they can control quality. Knock offs are cheap copies that are hit and miss. Just from experience in the shop.
When I worked at Do It Best Hardware, we were an otherized Stihl dealer along with other major brands of mowers etc. It was before I retired that Stihl bought out Zama. The Zama carburetors quality improved and the dealer prices were so low, we didn't bother to rebuild any of them and if the machine was under warranty, Stihl would not cover the time for cleaning or rebuild. Just a replacement and replacements that were under warranty were rare! That said, the year before I retired, Stihl introduced the FS38 trimmer. The engine was made in China. Our Stihl rep told us it was a move they had to make to compete with the Troy Built junk that Lowes and Home Depot were selling to home owners. We were skeptical at first but those 38's proved to be and still are to my knowledge to be a very good unit for it's price. Stihl, no matter where their products are manufactured, the quality goes into them before their name goes on....rest assured!

Speaking of flocks, we had a whole flock of FS38's come back this summer. They were simply too lean from the factory to be usable. All you had to was defeat the limiter and open the high needle up. Nothing wrong with the carb other than adjustment at the factory.
All thanks to the EPA! They are going to force all of the companies into battery powered units! To meet the governments EPA restrictions on gasoline powered products today, sadly it has almost become impractical and impossible!

Latest posts

Back