026 - Newbie Muffler Mod question w/Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy in NC

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok.. I know muffler mods are the norm and it seems once you do one or two no biggie. Before I go to cutting/drilling/grinding I have a few questions on the particular muffler on my 026. Do I really need to open this up? I've seen where there were a few different mufflers on this model and some were better than others. I hate to go too big and have performance start to fall off. I also understand this will never be a big saw, I'm just looking for the most out of it I can get, safely.

The victim:

IMG00116-20120221-1750.jpg

IMG00115-20120221-1749.jpg

The port:

IMG00118-20120221-1752.jpg

IMG00119-20120221-1752.jpg

The outlet:

IMG00114-20120221-1749.jpg

Thoughts, suggestions?

(Before everyone says that's too much bar for an 026, I know! I use this for a lot of trimming and such and at 6'2" I like it as it's easier to get to the ground with out bending as much and easy to get to the trunk of an ornamental tree to limb.)

here ya go

attachment.php

attachment.php

the hole is not too big coz with the spark arester you can halve the size of the hole or there abouts :cheers:

Do I really need to open this up? I've seen where there were a few different mufflers on this model and some were better than others. I hate to go too big and have performance start to fall off...
Yes, this saw definitely needs a MM.

(Before everyone says that's too much bar for an 026, I know! I use this for a lot of trimming and such and at 6'2" I like it as it's easier to get to the ground with out bending as much and easy to get to the trunk of an ornamental tree to limb.)

I'm 6'4", and I run 20" and 24" bars on 346's for the same reason. Most of my limbing is below my feet and the extra weight isn't an issue with balance. My back definitely feels better at the end of the day.

here ya go

attachment.php

the hole is not too big coz with the spark arester you can halve the size of the hole or there abouts :cheers:

I have had a couple of 026's and this is exactly what I did with both. I removed the entire raised area.

Id say he did. I would leave the screen in too.:msp_smile:
Yes, I always run screens and it reduces the effective opening some.

Well as soon as I get home today it's Dremel time. Thanks for the pics and advice.

Any advantage to popping a few holes in the deflector that the screen slides into? I'm thinking a few 1/4" holes so gasses can go straight out and not have to 'make the turn'.

Yes, you are shooting hot gasses straight at what you are cutting. It may or may not cause a problem, but I have seen people say they have smoldered what they were cutting with this set-up.

Yes, you are shooting hot gasses straight at what you are cutting. It may or may not cause a problem, but I have seen people say they have smoldered what they were cutting with this set-up.

If I am up against a log that long with this little saw, I should have gotten a bigger saw out! I will keep an eye open now but am not too worried as it will have the spark screen in there still.

Check this thread out. http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/82345.htm On page two, Lakeside suggested to drill the holes out instead of removing all the material. That's what I did on mine. I think he said 5/16", but better reread the thread. I can't say which is the best, but I would do what Lakeside suggested.

You have the best flowing 026 muffler they made. I would not drill anything on that one. The mufflers with one hole are the ones that are choked off.
Just my opinion, But I have tried a few mufflers and the red switch 026 has the 4 hole exhaust that did not need modding IMO.
Nice 026!!!

Thanks for the replies and the link to the other thread. May just open them up a touch and leave well enough alone. It is a great running saw, especially considering what I paid for it... $0.00

I did go through the carb, fule pick up, fuel line, air filter as it is about 18-20 years old according to the old owner and I bought the bar and chain so I have around $100 or so in it. Just looking to get as much out of it as I can!

Back