026 oil leaking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gots one that does the same thing. Stead of fooling with it I just use a funnel and dump the remaining oil back and da jug and putter away..

bwalker said:
Does it have a Stihl bar on it?
Some aftermarket bars will cause siphoning of the bar oil on Stihl saws.
Say what. I'm stting here thinking just how a bar could suck oil out of a tank. Care to explain that one. Not funning with ya for my 026 leaks like a huzzy but it has a Stihl bar on it....

Say what. I'm stting here thinking just how a bar could suck oil out of a tank. Care to explain that one. Not funning with ya for my 026 leaks like a huzzy but it has a Stihl bar on it....
Stihl bars have a little Dam(for lack of a better word) behind the oiler hole to keep oil from runing down to the heel of the bar.

That be true, you is correct. So ya saying it had a block in the bar to stop the sucking action:laugh: Just messing with ya, I see what your saying..

I'm with ya, that heal in the bar makes sense to me but real pupose of that heal to help force the oil directly into those groves Stihl uses on their chains. It makes sense too that it would stop oil from flowing after the saw is off so I think your correct.

Poundcake said:
I have an 026 that leaks bar lube all over when it sits for a while. Is there a fix for this. :cry:

There is a real good chance that your oil pickup line is not sealing against the pump. The end of the line is a flange that needs to seat with the tab locked in place, and then the pump end presses into it. Over time these can get misshapen, and allow oil to leak. To fix this you need to take the clutch off and remove the oil pump.

The other place is the case gasket. Rare, but it happens. If so, try tightening the case screws.

Bingo Lake, you is 100% correct. Lake are ya a Stihl tech by chance, been watching ya posts, I thinks ya is..

All of these threads about the 026/260 leaking bar oil makes me glad I opted for the Pro version. It was more expensive, and the decompression valve really isn't needed on a saw like this, but it sounds like the better oiler is worth the higher cost.

THALL10326 said:
Awwwwwwwwww I knew it. Va Beach trained I bets, hmmmmmmmmm??

Nope.... self... I'm getting pressed to get "certified" (they even MAILED me the Bronze exam), but it doesn't pay any more :) Might do it for fun one night.

McCartman said:
All of these threads about the 026/260 leaking bar oil makes me glad I opted for the Pro version. It was more expensive, and the decompression valve really isn't needed on a saw like this, but it sounds like the better oiler is worth the higher cost.

For clarification : The two issues are really unrelated. One is about the pro oiler/standard oiler differences, and the other is about a fault due to age. Irrespective, I do like the 26 pro...

Back