Stihl 028 oil leak (what is it)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttifin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got bar oil leaking from this just under the fill cap for the oil. It's coming from around the plastic piece not the screw. What do I need to do to fix this. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I don't have an 028, so I don't know for sure, but that looks like a access port through the oil tank, probably to the front of the rear handle. Probably goes to the antivibe mounts. I would suspect that there is a seal of some sort, o ring, goo or whatever that has cracked. It may be that the screw has loosened up a little.

Does that screw come loose easily? I looked at drawings in search and couldn't find a good enough diagram for me to chase it down for sure.

Hopefully by commenting, someone else will post.

I don't have an 028, so I don't know for sure, but that looks like a access port through the oil tank, probably to the front of the rear handle. Probably goes to the antivibe mounts. I would suspect that there is a seal of some sort, o ring, goo or whatever that has cracked. It may be that the screw has loosened up a little.

Does that screw come loose easily? I looked at drawings in search and couldn't find a good enough diagram for me to chase it down for sure.

Hopefully by commenting, someone else will.

Hopefully by commenting, someone else will post.
Your right it goes to the mounts, I can see the rubber bushing from under the saw. Still doesn't make sense why there is oil coming from it. I'll try to get a diagram somewhere.

Do you have a pic from underneath, or from the front looking at that space? I wonder if there is an opening into the bar oil reservoir. Either by design or by wear. How many owners has this saw had, how well do you know it's history? It is over 35 years old, Time and vibration can have a toll on these older saws.
If it were me, I would drain the bar oil, and take that screw out. I would think you should be able to tell if there was some sort of sealing device that has been damaged, by vibration or age with a careful visual inspection. Maybe that screw just needs snugged up a touch.

I recently had my 044 repaired. The oil reservoir started leaking, to the point it was empty halfway through a cut. It was a wore out faller saw before I got it. Evidently it had a hole poked on the bottom of the case and someone had fixed by putting a large diameter sheet metal screw into the hole, gooped up with sealant. The sealant finally gave out.

I bought a replacement case half...

Added Edit: I just spoke with the guy that does rebuilds and repairs for me. He says it's most likely from the case gasket. Oil is wicking out of the tank and traveling down the AV, out through that galley. He says there should not be any opening from the tank to that opening. He says it's possible that a crack or hole developed, but not likely.

It goes back to "Do you know the history? " It's possible the saw has been opened up and the gasket wasn't replaced, just resealed.

That's the cover for the AV mount/annular buffer. No oil passages there.

Take the mount off and look for cracks in the case or a bad case gasket. If coming from case gasket check screws on other side of case. To get at some you may need to pull clutch cover/clutch.

IPL and manual attached

Attachments

• Stihl 028 IPL new.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • STIHL 028, 038 Service Manual copy.pdf
    13.6 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back