Poulan Saw leaking bar oil like a sieve when running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesm113

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
It's a Poulan Pro PP4218avx. Spent about 15 minutes trying to get it all tuned up today. Just did carb, ignition, intake/exhaust gasket set. Runs pretty good now, but it's leaking bar oil like crazy while it's running. You can see the oil drip down the side of the saw as it's running.

One youtube video suggests drilling and tapping the oil pickup with a M4 screw:
Another youtube video says the metal plate can get cracked and leak oil. Mine was cracked on the bottom, so I'm JB welding it now, seeing if that will fix it.

Again, it's not leaking oil while sitting, just while running. What else can I check? Thanks!

YJl9Eye.jpg

Hard to believe but I have a Husqvarna 257 doing the same thing: it oils the bar OK but leaks oil so that hardly enough bar oil after a fill-up can last even one tank of fuel. I have the oil control valve cut back, but that seems to not mean much. I will check the parts carefully and see if I solve it and report back here. Strange things like this drive you bonkers. :rolleyes:

Looks like the vent to the bar oil tank was missing a part and that caused the bar oil to leak right out. I fixed the 257 with a simple shop-made plug and now only about half a tank of bar oil is used with each fuel fill up. That's normal.

Hey I'm Jeff. I'm have the same issue with my poulan pl3816 saw. It was gave to me and the issue I found wrong was when you run it it leaks oil like a seeve. I jw if you found out anything

Latest posts

Back