026 pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLMCRZY

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Who can tell me about it? I searched but nothing came up. Im thinking about downsizing to a 026 i think it would fit me alot better!

What are their specs? How does everyone like them? How about some pictures as well :)

I have a 260 and its my go to saw with my two saw set up (260-460). No complaints here its light, agile and has enough power to do most of typical firewood needs. I believe they have some seal issues though, I don't consider it a major one and I have yet to personally see any, but if problems start it seems most recommend a rebuild.

I have a 260 and its my go to saw with my two saw set up (260-460). No complaints here its light, agile and has enough power to do most of typical firewood needs. I believe they have some seal issues though, I don't consider it a major one and I have yet to personally see any, but if problems start it seems most recommend a rebuild.

I dont need a 2 saw i just need 1 and a 50cc will do it with ease. If not ill get a 70cc saw. But for now i dont need 2 saws.

I run a MS260 Pro ,sporting a 16 inch bar these can run up to a 20 but that is the about the limit running the usual 23RSK67 chain, flings chips and noodles well,the saws are an old reliable saw.People here will saw go to the new MS261 and mod it. Both run well with a muff mod,and respond well to a full porting.These are a 50cc (3.2 BHP) saw,the pro models have an adjustable oiler and a decomp valve which is almost redundant as the start easily and ways 10.6 lbs. These are commonly used as the groundies saw. Best of all its a STIHL !

This has handled everything that I throw at it and then some quite surprising for a 50cc class saw.

HTH.

I run a MS260 Pro ,sporting a 16 inch bar these can run up to a 20 but that is the about the limit running the usual 23RSK67 chain, flings chips and noodles well,the saws are an old reliable saw.People here will saw go to the new MS261 and mod it. Both run well with a muff mod,and respond well to a full porting.These are a 50cc (3.2 BHP) saw,the pro models have an adjustable oiler and a decomp valve which is almost redundant as the start easily and ways 10.6 lbs. These are commonly used as the groundies saw. Best of all its a STIHL !

This has handled everything that I throw at it and then some quite surprising for a 50cc class saw.

HTH.
It sounds like this saw would really fit my needs. I like the poulans they have plenty of power but they are heavy and are kinda overkill. 10.6 lbs! Its going to be weird going to one! Have you ran a 20 on it? I was thinking a 18 would be about perfect for me.

Truth be known, the 3400/3700 is built just as rugged and as reliable as the 026. I have had them both, and if I were going to have one saw, I would keep one of the Poulan's. The 3400 will pull a 20" chain with authority, and will do anything you could ever ask of it. I think of the 026 as a limbing saw, and yes I have one....or two...:)

Truth be known, the 3400/3700 is built just as rugged and as reliable as the 026. I have had them both, and if I were going to have one saw, I would keep one of the Poulan's. The 3400 will pull a 20" chain with authority, and will do anything you could ever ask of it. I think of the 026 as a limbing saw, and yes I have one....or two...:)

Well they dont make parts for them anymore, thats another reason why i want to get something a little newer along with the weight.

Well they dont make parts for them anymore, thats another reason why i want to get something a little newer along with the weight.

I rebuilt a 3400 this year, new bearings and seals and a good used top end. Parts are out there, just gotta look.

You would be more than happy with an 026, no doubt, but IMHO, the 3400 is a
more capable saw.

I rebuilt a 3400 this year, new bearings and seals and a good used top end. Parts are out there, just gotta look.

You would be more than happy with an 026, no doubt, but IMHO, the 3400 is a
more capable saw.

Decisions Decisions Decisions......

My 260 came with 3/8 chain and 20 inch bar. I liked it but felt it could be better. I put a 16 incher on it and did a mild muff mod and it is my #1 saw. I like knowing I can put the 20 back on if I need to. I frequently cut up to 24 inch wood with the 16 inch and it does well. Mine is not a pro but I am going to put a pro oiler on it. It is a bed-wetter and I have read on here that putting the pro oiler in it can usually fix the problem.

Well, a for instance. I cut a 40"+ wind blown oak in the back 40 with my only saw at the time, a 3400 and a 20" bar. Lots of work, but that ol' Poulan got her done. I couldn't imagine going at it with just an 026. It would no doubt do it, but no where near as effectively as the 3400. The 3400 has the torque to pull a 20" bar, buried up in oak, where the 026 just doesn't have it. If you dont need the torque to pull a longer bar in bigger wood, then the 026 will fit the bill nicely.

026 is a great saw. I run 16 or 18 inch bars on them. I use mine for limbing and general ground work. If these guys say the parts are out there, why not just keep your Poulans? If you needed the saw for work several days a week I could see changing brands, but it seems like you have a couple good saws already. IMO

If i was going to own only one saw it would be 60CC or bigger. the 026s are great saws but small for most the cutting i do. I say look for a 036/361/362 if you want a stihl and want only 1.

Latest posts

Back