026 vs. new MS290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem I see is not that he purchsed a 290 but that he had a 026 that only needed a coil. I think the 290 is an excellent firewood saw but since he had the 026 why didn't the dealer sell him a 260 so that he had almost two of every part on the saw and would have had a very good experience with Stihl products. explain why the 290 is a better choice when he had a 026?

What will you use that.....hmmm, thingy....for......:jawdrop:

Its going into the collection ole boy. Ya know I had two other 029's that I rebuilt and gave away, both still performing flawlessly. Now I knows you don't care much for that model but to be honest and forthcoming that 290 is perfect for the homeowner market. Its built alot stronger than those cheesy things sold at Lowes and HD but we won't mention any names,hehe That saw also gets the same back up as the pro Stihls, another thing those cheesy things over at Lowes and HD don't have, once again I won't mention any names,LOLOL

That one in the pic was run on fuel that had been setting for over a year. It scored the cylinder and that was that. I'll have it running in no time. Aint she pretty Sawtroll, mymymymymymy and the price, priceless, FREE.

ya, lets see if it out cuts a 260. :cheers:

BTW, my 455 rancher was a freebie too. :)

That 455 was a freebie, cool beans to that.

When I get done with that saw it will outcut a 260, a 310, a 346xp and 445as well. Tell me ole boy when I toss it back together will it be a 290 or a
390, only my hair dressor knows for sure,LOLOLOL

Thall - Sweet saw you need to make one of those vee diddy o's with it. ;)

That saw is about as near new as I've ever gotton as a freebie. There is no wear on the sprocket at all, none. I bet it hasn't been run a hour. The feller admitted he screwed it up with year old bad fuel. Surprised me the dayumm thing even ran off the stuff he had in the tank. He was pretty cool about it. He's now buying a MSE220 electric Stihl so he doesn't have to fool with fuel mix anymore. He gives away a 369.00 saw and opts to buy a 549.00 electric to replace it, I like that guy..

He didn't he sell him a 260, cause he didn't have one. Think about it. A 260 is probably $100 some more dollars. He's not gonna tell the guy to order one and risk losing the sale. Its called having one on the hook.
He probably jacked the price up on the 290 to make up for the loss of not having a 260.

Rofl!!!!

Ha, I guess I could use that 372 I got for keeping my guns from rusting then huh, grab a rag boys, theres plenty oil everywhere,LOLOLOLOL

Good one,oh back on topic.
Not sure how the 260 came into the discussion,so we'll throw the comparison out,and also I dont think I have any time on them.
The 290 is a good saw,but I spose the question is,does he need it?I own a 026,and have definitely put it to the test.I work with 290's and 310's,and keep one of each in my crew truck.I dont let the Heathins look at them much less touch em.The 290's are good dependable saws,easy starters,decent power.Course they dont hold a candle to my personal 372 as one would expect,but thats ok,they do what they are sposed to.In cold weather(<10)the 290 takes it in stride compared to the 310 or my 026,but thats an individual saw issue imo.
To make a long story short,Ive felled/limbed and bucked a pretty decent amount of firewood with the 026,but I work with the 290's,and in hindsight,wished Id bought the bigger saw.Just wish the 290's came with a pair of decent spikes,rather than that paltry girly Stihl bumper spike that is factory.

ak4195

That 455 was a freebie, cool beans to that.

When I get done with that saw it will outcut a 260, a 310, a 346xp and 445as well. Tell me ole boy when I toss it back together will it be a 290 or a
390, only my hair dressor knows for sure,LOLOLOL

Good for you that the engine was toast, so at least you can make a 390 out of it, makes it a tad more acceptable.....:laugh: :laugh:

:cheers: :cheers:

Good for you that the engine was toast, so at least you can make a 390 out of it, makes it a tad more acceptable.....:laugh: :laugh:

:cheers: :cheers:

Ha, thats no way to talk about one of the most popular saws ever made, whats the matter with ya ole boy. Trust me the public has spoken, the 290 is in stlye baby,LOL

Latest posts

Back