026 vs. new MS290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjayfromwa

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was just curious if anyone out here has run both of these. Only reason i am asking is i just got one from a shop that was labeled "junk" (it only needed a coil, runs like a champ now)...

The salesman sold him a new 290 and told the customer that since it has a higher model number it will completely outperform his old saw (the 026). Just from what i've heard the 290 is not a runner and kinda heavy for its power output?

I'm sure you guys have knowledge about these two saws out here?

Yes, it will generally out perform the 026 in larger wood. The 026 is a better handling saw though... and for most use the 026 is a much better saw.

Yes, it will generally out perform the 026 in larger wood. The 026 is a better handling saw though... and for most use the 026 is a much better saw.

Agree the 290 is torquier (torquiest, Torquified..):) due too it's displacement advantage 56cc versus 50cc. If I were labeling one junk though....it would be the 290. :) Just look at the design of the two saws. The 260/260pro is just that, a pro limbing saw. Must easier to work on and has a magnesium crankcase. On the other hand the 290 is plastic cased (plasticified, plasticated):) with a sort of drop in motor "package". Truely the 290-390 series looks like a planned obsolesense saw. While made for the homeowner (read-throw-away) market. They are not designed for Pro, everyday use and are build too a price point. While these have certainly served the home owner well (I'm sure), most other brands do not have this much parity between the homeowner/pro designs. :greenchainsaw:

my 026 has been tuff as nails!!

have always thought of MS290 as designed for the homeowner market

Just another perfect example of a salesman that doesn't have a clue what he's doing, or just makes up some garbage to make a sale. It's certainly a place I'd avoid if I were buying a saw.

Are you saying the 290 won't out perform the 026?

Are you talking about the kind of dealer who won't service his customers because he's afraid to stand behind his work, hiding behind "liability" issues?

I was just curious if anyone out here has run both of these. Only reason i am asking is i just got one from a shop that was labeled "junk" (it only needed a coil, runs like a champ now)...

The salesman sold him a new 290 and told the customer that since it has a higher model number it will completely outperform his old saw (the 026). Just from what i've heard the 290 is not a runner and kinda heavy for its power output?

I'm sure you guys have knowledge about these two saws out here?

Yup, yup, yup. The 290 was made specifically for the guy that would let his current saw go to get a newer saw when the old one just needed a minor repair. Shame on that salesman!!!
You should continue going there looking for deals, but shouldn't go there for repairs.

I find the fact all it needed was a coil and instead of fixing it he sold him a 290 sort of disturbing. The 290 is ok and not a bad model they are very reliable but they don't stack up to an 026/260 plus if he had bought another 260 that would have made more sence because he had another complete saw for parts.

Last edited:
Just wanted to defend the 290 here as nobody else seems to be. I think they are very good saws. Mine cuts like crazy. Sure.. if you look on paper it doesn't seem that amazing but reading stats and actually using it are two different things. Yes they are made cheaper than the pro saws, but if you want a pro saw why would you buy a 290? They aren't made to be used eight hours a day although I'm sure they could be. If taken care of and used for firewood I see nothing wrong with them and they should last a long time and be a good saw for the owner!!

I find the fact all it needed was a coil and instead of fixing it he sold him a 290 sort of disturbing. The 290 is ok and not a bad model they are very reliable but they don't stack up to an 026/260 plus if he had bought another 260 that would have made more sence because he had another complete saw for parts.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. The fact that it was a pro saw that he owned didn't do that customer any good at all. It was wasted money. Wasted, I say!

and best of all... the coil was likely under warranty - lifetime if he was the original owner.

Hey Lake remember me telling you yesterday about that freebie I picked up, check it out. Yes its a 290 baby. Only rebuilding it cause its so pretty,hehe, dayumm thing is like new, have a lookie:

attachment.php

Back