Widowmaker!! How do i....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dummywithasaw88

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I live in Oklahoma and a recent Tornado tore thru my yard. I have this huge tree right up against my deck and it got split down the middle the half that fell is leaning/caught in the tree next to it. Having someone come remove it for is out of the question need to know best way to get it down and not kill my self or destroy my home. It won't let me upload pics so idk how to show you the issue

I live in Oklahoma and a recent Tornado tore thru my yard. I have this huge tree right up against my deck and it got split down the middle the half that fell is leaning/caught in the tree next to it. Having someone come remove it for is out of the question need to know best way to get it down and not kill my self or destroy my home. It won't let me upload pics so idk how to show you the issue

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240523_190942_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240523_190942_Gallery.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240523_190946_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240523_190946_Gallery.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240523_190951_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240523_190951_Gallery.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240523_190957_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240523_190957_Gallery.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
Well, first thing to do is to get the part of the tree that broke off (the big branch) loose from the part of the tree that's undamaged. Start with a down cut on the top of the broken section in near where it split. About 1/2 way thru is good. Then make an upward undercut (use the top of your chainsaw bar) to finish cutting the split off part free. Remember, cut from the top first then finish by cutting up from the bottom to keep your bar and chain from getting pinched. Chances are really good that the split off part will just fall straight down into the ground when you cut it free. But, I'd clear a path and plan to get out of the way just in case. As you're cutting pay attention to what the broken section is wanting to do as you're finishing the cut. After you get the broken section cut free it'll probably still be hung up in the other tree. Easiest thing to do is hook a rope to it and pull it free with a truck ideally. Shouldn't take much to get it out and all of it safely on the ground. If you can't pull it out then cut the branch at a comfortable height for you. Top down first, up from the bottom second. Repeat as needed to continue to shorten the broken branch. Definitely plan on running out the way because at some point the part that's hung up in tree is going to become short enough that it could topple over back towards where it came from. I hope this helps and best of luck. You can do, safety first always. And no cutting up on a ladder!

Can you get a decent size vehicle around there?
Ideally a bucket truck... but I reckon you could put a line in that branch over the house, notch it on the side, make a back cut on the other side & then pull it so it swings away from the house. Same with the remainder of the tree... rope up in it, appropriate notch & back cut (above the T-post), then pull it off to the side of the house.
I'm not very familiar with Hackberry & this suggestion depends largely on the trees ability to hinge & not just snap. It's also very hard to make judgements like this from pics so what I should probably be suggesting is that you have someone experienced look at it (preferably someone with access to a bucket truck ;))

Latest posts

Back