028 and a bonus saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdchuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well, my father had a surprise for me, besides the 028WB hardmount? with bar and new chain, there was also a Homelite XL2 Auto in a case with a bar and two chains and a case.

The Homelite is a neat setup in that the handle has two throttle triggers on it, for top handle or rear handling. No hand guard or chainbrake but nice little saw.

I'll try them out this weekend when time permits.

What do you guys know about the Homelite, good bad?

Well, I put some fresh mix in both saws and each started on the second pull, when put to wood both performed admirably, the 028WB has a 14"bar, and the XL2 has a 12" bar.

The only thing to track down, is why they smoke so bad, blue cloud filled the garage with a couple hits on the throttle of each, I put in a 50:1 Stihl mix, maybe it's a little too rich.

Either way, they are both complimentary to the inventory and will be fun to play with.

Now, the only direction left to go is bigger, for a csm only saw, 066 seems to be good size for that from what you guys have said.

They probably smoke a lot because of whatever was in them before you got them. I wouldn't have a problem with feeding the 028 on 50:1, but the little homelite might not hold up on that. Those split-rod roller bearings, chrome cylinders, and sloppy tolerances want more oil.

Before you start worrying too much you should remember two things:

All saws will put out more smoke when first started;

If you are running them in a confined space, your garage, you'll notice the smoke a lot more than outside.

Dan

Well, the 028 seems to be just fine.

The Homelite XL2 has a smoke problem, but this has been addressed before and it's the bar oil getting into the crankcase when tipped up, otherwise it runs without excessive smoke, also, it takes quite a bit of throttle to get the chain moving, maybe a little more adjustment.

The MS460 is running fine, I downloaded someones saw tuning audio recording and went from there, all is well. Maybe a muffler mod is next, but not until I start milling. A 36" bar will add quite a drag on the motor.

Thanks for all the positive/helpful feedback guys.

An 066/660 series Stihl would probably round out the collection nicely, as a milling only saw, but more reading is required, want to know how to pick out a lemon when looking at used saws. Of course, any advice from you guys will be apppreciated.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back