028 AV Super WoodBoss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanH

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I picked up a free 028 AV Super WB from a friend of my dads. Been sitting a long time. The guy that had it said he was sawing and it went "pop" stopped working and it's been sitting since. I removed the muffler and there is some slight staining on the piston. It fires with fuel dropped into the carb for about a second or two. Plug is dry when removed. I haven't tore into the saw too far yet. If the fuel filter and lines look clean, I figure on getting a rebuild kit for the carb. Unless you folks have other suggestions. While tearing it down are there other items you'd suggest to replace.

Questions: In looking for parts, I see alot of references to 028. Are the parts the same between the two saws?

Wish I got a free 028. :D AV just stands for Anti-Vibration. Super I think has a larger bore. Woodboss was just a name; don't know if it means anything or not. It would have the same parts as an 028, less the cyl. and piston, since I think they are slightly larger than a normal 028.

Scored Piston?

I took the cylinder off to look at the piston. Viewing through the exhaust port I had seen some discoloration of the piston. The cylinder has some black streaks and deposits on the exhaust side and some very slight vertical grooves. The saw passed the hold by the pull rope method of compression testing. Just wondering if a piston in this condition warrants replacement? Rings appear normal. Cylinder also appears normal. I did scrape some carbon deposits from the edge of the exhaust port.

Just wondering if a piston in this condition warrants replacement?

(couldn't get the photo to attach)

Scored Piston

Photo
Heck of a close up:laugh:

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back