028 AV Woodboss dead

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some carb cleaner really isn't all that flammable and for sure it doesn't have oil in it so don't try to fire your saw on that. Even if you don't have the fuel filter back on, you can test the saw by putting a bit of gas/oil mix in the carb and see if it'll run for a couple seconds. Do this with a small squirt bottle, eye dropper, etc. you don't want to just pour it from the can. If it fires when you put gas in the carb, then you have narrowed the problem down to a fuel issue. Keep at it, you'll eventually get the thing running nicely again.

As far of volume of fuel to put in, a few drops. A teaspoon full is too much.

Well sure......

Just be carefull.........

Just because the spark is visible in the pitch black basement, tells you very little.......

It is like holding the plug/wire in your hand while pulling the rope, and feeling a shock, and boldly pronouncing that the ignition is GOOD!!!

The "shop" suggested you needed a new plug,you don't mention that you cleaned it or replaced it with a new one.
Try a new plug before you "jerk" the rope out of it and have to start a new thread on "Fixing my recoil starter".

Ok, I put a little fuel in the carb and it fired right up, it ran until the fuel was gone. I did it again just to be sure. Then I put the fuel filter back on and filled the tank. It wouldn't start, I got nothing, it wouldn't fire. I put a little more fuel mix in the carb, pulled twice and it ran until the fuel in the carb was used up. I cleaned the fuel filter, maybe I should replace it. Like I said before the fuel line appears to be in good shape, its soft and elastic, not brittle like the old vent tube.

Any more ideas, fuel line, fuel filter, impulse line???

Thanks, Jim

Ok, I put a little fuel in the carb and it fired right up, it ran until the fuel was gone. I did it again just to be sure. Then I put the fuel filter back on and filled the tank. It wouldn't start, I got nothing, it wouldn't fire. I put a little more fuel mix in the carb, pulled twice and it ran until the fuel in the carb was used up. I cleaned the fuel filter, maybe I should replace it. Like I said before the fuel line appears to be in good shape, its soft and elastic, not brittle like the old vent tube.

Any more ideas, fuel line, fuel filter, impulse line???

Thanks, Jim

I assume when you "put fuel in the carb", you mean squirted it in the carb throat... Or?

I think the problem is the carb is unable to pump fuel from the tank. Check the diaphragm on the bottom of the carb, especially the little flaps that work as valves to make the "pump" work. Make sure the impulse line is impulsing. Can it run if you attach a piece of plain fuel line to the carb and put the other end in a jar? Check the passages in the fuel pump side. I assume you have cleaned the inlet screen!?!!

Last edited:
The original fuel filter could be disassembled, and in the main part of it was stuffed a foam insert, which after 15 years ago would fall apart
and clog up the carb, so if you can get it to run on a squirt until the fuels is used up, then you need to correctly rebuild the carb.

Take the carb out and remove the cover that covers the diaphragm. Sometimes sawdust gets under the cover and then the carb can't pump. While you are in there gently remove the diaphragm and check insides for crud. In particular there is a fine screen where the fuel comes in.

If the carb looks good check the impulse line

Last edited:
Well, I pulled the carb out and cleaned it, the diaphrams look ok to me but I ordered the rebuild kit with needle valve anyway (might as well put new parts in while I have it broken down). With the carb out I took a good look at the fuel line. It looks fine, its not blocked, but I also ordered a new fuel line and filter insert. At this point I can't see much of the impulse line but if the rebuild doesn't work I'll keep digging, nothing to lose. Thanks for your help. Comments are appreciated.
Happy Holidays!!!

Well, the parts came in and I replaced the gaskets, diaphram, screen, and needle valve. I cleaned everything with carb cleaner, put it back together and gave it a few pulls, nothing doing. It still won't fire. I poured a little gas in the carb, it fired up on the second pull and once again ran fine until it was out of gas. WTH!!! I gave it 20 or 30 pulls to give some time for the gas to flow but it still won't fire. What am I missing here? It has to be a fuel problem.

With the carb apart and the needle out, hold it up to a light and make sure that the passage under it is clear. If it is totally clogged, you won't
get her to do anything.

That's a 1/4 century old saw. It has earned it's keep. Put a brand new carb in it. Ya, you might be able to take it apart 18 tyimes and clean it and jump through hoops..if you got the cash and not the time, new carb.

I've had some in the past I have wanted to kicked myself soundly for dorking around rebuilding them, just to find shafts loose, etc..(four strokes small engines and some cars) Sometimes it just ain't worth it when a "new" one will work.

No idea what carb you need, or best prices, etc. Unless they are totally ridiculous in price, if it is only like 30 bucks for a carb, well...dang gasket sets are like half that for most small carbs...gets to be the law of diminishing returns cheaping out. It runs with a prime and craps out, it needs fuel, it ain't getting any now despite all this work.

Now a really rare antique saw, parts near impossible to get, etc, but I doubt that is the case with an 028 avbcdxyz whatever, they made zillions of them.

Well, the parts came in and I replaced the gaskets, diaphram, screen, and needle valve. I cleaned everything with carb cleaner, put it back together and gave it a few pulls, nothing doing. It still won't fire. I poured a little gas in the carb, it fired up on the second pull and once again ran fine until it was out of gas. WTH!!! I gave it 20 or 30 pulls to give some time for the gas to flow but it still won't fire. What am I missing here? It has to be a fuel problem.

Possibly you put something (pump diaphragm) in the wrong way, or in the wrong order...??

That's a 1/4 century old saw. It has earned it's keep. Put a brand new carb in it. Ya, you might be able to take it apart 18 tyimes and clean it and jump through hoops..if you got the cash and not the time, new carb.

I second the new carb option.

Did you get a new check valve if it has one? Even if you get it going and the check valve is bad, it will be hard to start from cold.

A new Tillotson carb for that saw runs around 60-75 bucks. I'd pull the carb apart again and give it a good cleaning. You didn't say if you checked the screen, check if you haven't, after 25 years they tend to load up!

The shop probably already checked the impulse line, at least for $34 they damn well should have, but if another carb rebuild doesn't do it that's probably it. If the vent line already disintegrated, the impulse line could have as well.

It pretty much goes without saying, $250 + $34 for a vent line, spark plug, and carb rebuild is a good reason to never again set foot in that dealership. Good for you on deciding to learn how to fix it yourself!

Heck, ship it to me without the bar/chain, I'll fix the bugger. You just pay shipping.

Back