028 Master Control Switch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GASoline71

Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Well after almost 20 years of faithful, no problem wood cuttin', the 028WB finally had a hiccup. While buckin' logs last week it was kind of acting funny on start up. Very tempermental after warming 'er up. When I moved the switch off of full choke it just bogged out and would barely idle. So I went to shut 'er off, and she wouldn't shut down. Just kept on sputtering. So I choked it again and got it to die. Went through this scenario about 4 more times. One time I got it to run fine, but then wouldn't shut off, unless I choked it 'till it died. I pulled the rear cover off, and removed the air filter. The switch shaft is so worn out from years of use that it has worn into the the brass connector for what I believ is the "hot" wire. It is making contact with the brass spring and grounding it out (I think). The shaft and switch look like a PITA to change out. Any hints or tips from anyone who has possibly changed one of these things. The 028 is the only Stihl saw I have ever owned with a Master Switch. She's my "go-to" saw, so I need 'er runnin'.

Good thing I had the ol' dinosaur (041) with me on that trip. The beast saved the day again! Gotta love the 041!

Gary

Common problem after a couple of decades. It's really easy to replace. Take the screw out of the bottom of the handle cover, remove the handle cover and interlock, and it's all obvious. Takes about 10 minutes. The hardest part is to replace the spring contact - the screw jumps around... and you need three very small hands.

Replace both the spring contact and the control shaft. The shaft is only about $7.

Latest posts

Back