029 issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like your price better. I get plenty of free lube.

I was just backing up my post. Lower Is the one to buy.

Harley do the 440 carb works on a 029? That is the number out to the right?

I'm no saw guru, so just take this as throwing ideas out there:

Carb needle may be worn or (more likely) the lever was bent when someone diddled with it beforehand or gas gummed up around the seat. Did you jet out every orifice with Carb&Choke cleaner while it was apart?

Also, check and make sure it holds the vacuum and pressure while rotating the crankshaft to different positions, perhaps they overtightened the bar and/or the crank is slightly out-of-round. Another possibility is the intake boot is cracked, yet can hold a vacuum when its not being moved around but leaks when vibrating from engine running and shaking.

New plug? Flywheel gap correct? Perhaps the ignition coil?

Is it putz'n out or is it whining before it dies? A video would help loads.

The rebuild kit is over $30 in that price book. Someone pointed to the stens kit for 6$. Normally an oem kit is less than $20.

You really have nothing else left of influence besides the hose, filter and carb replacement. With him using motomix he does not need to remove the fuel for storage according to stihl for two years or less.

I agree. And he does occasionally use this saw so the Stihl gas should be all he needs. The carb was very clean. The fuel tank also had zero trash. Gas poured out of the fuel line if the saw was tilted with the carb off so the filter is fine. It's getting a new one with new line next week anyway.
The only other thing that I can think of is the intake boot. If it happens to have a leak near the carb end, I might not know it because I clamp a greased wine cork there to vac test. The clamp might could cover up a small crack or pin hole.

I'm no saw guru, so just take this as throwing ideas out there:

Carb needle may be worn or (more likely) the lever was bent when someone diddled with it beforehand or gas gummed up around the seat. Did you jet out every orifice with Carb&Choke cleaner while it was apart?

Also, check and make sure it holds the vacuum and pressure while rotating the crankshaft to different positions, perhaps they overtightened the bar and/or the crank is slightly out-of-round. Another possibility is the intake boot is cracked, yet can hold a vacuum when its not being moved around but leaks when vibrating from engine running and shaking.

New plug? Flywheel gap correct? Perhaps the ignition coil?

Is it putz'n out or is it whining before it dies? A video would help loads.

Two carbs with new kits. Blasted through with carb cleaner. Each carb left the saw acting the same. Saw doesn't rev and die like it sucking air, it just sort of burbles out. Like trying to run it while the air filter is choked with crud. If a fuel line does not fix it I will start over and post a video.
I tried a known plug and coil. Buisness card gap. Same symptoms.
Normally I would but I don't recall repositioning the crank while under vacuum.
The intake boot is a possibility.

Latest posts

Back