029 Super - What would be the closest current model Stihl replacement ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guysnydr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I think I screwed up. I had an older Jonsered 2163 that I bought new when I was burning firewood. I absolutely loved that saw but decided to sell it recently because I really didn't need such a big saw as all I use it for now is occasionally clearing roads at the hunting camp and light firewood use. Anyway, fast-froward, Uncle had a real nice lightly used older Stihl 029 Super that he gave to me. It is lighter and smaller than the 2163 so decided to let the 2163 go to a new home.

Problem is this - the 029 starts "fairly" easy and runs nice, but when it warms up it doesn't want to idle well (idles up where it should when cold) but then is a real dickens to get started back up after it warms up. Had it to the local Stihl dealer who says there is "nothing wrong with it". I suspect it needs a new carb but I don't want to put money into it. I also hate the old style Stihl fuel and oil caps and think I might just swap it in for a new saw.

So I guess my question is this: What would be the closest current model Stihl saw be to the 029 Super without going smaller hopefully? Also, should I opt to trade it, what should I expect to get out of an older, but quite nice looking low hour 029 Super? New Stihl bar and chain.

I guess lastly, does anyone recognize the symptoms and have any idea what my issue is with this 029 in case I opt to keep it? Thanks for any advise.

Probably just a cracked fuel line, definitely worth a look.
Doesn't seem to leak, or smell like gas, but anything is possible. The fuel lines were replaced about 3 years ago when my uncle had the whole thing gone over at the Stihl shop. That was around 2016 or 2017. I took it back in recently for the issue, but they said they couldn't duplicate it and that it was running fine for them. They simply didn't run it long enough because it starts horribly hard after using it for 10 or 15 minutes, every time. And I have to keep feathering the throttle to keep it going. When it is cold it idles fine. When it is warmed up, in order to restart it, I literally have to hold the throttle with one hand and pull it with the other. It's a real pain. After it sits for a bit and is cold again, it will usually fire up pretty easily and idle fine. Stinkin thing anyway. Irritating.

On the 290 that was typically the symptom of a fuel line leak. It could also be an impulse line leak, or a carb that is loose. Your saw is dying because it is not getting gas. Impulse line drives the carb fuel pump. Cracked gas line will starve the saw of gas. That problem was also common on the 025 saws. Replace the gas and impulse lines and make sure that the carb is on tight. Easy peasy.

Best alternative to the 029 in the new line of Stihl saws is the 311. But I would opt to get a used older 310 instead. Bigger brother to the 029, same weight, more power, less vibration. Good saws. The 029 was the dog in that series. If you want the best 60cc saw that Stihl made in that size, get a 361. I have owned them all. Well, except the 311.

Back