031 av questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mafun464

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a pair of nonrunning 031 av. Is there anything i should look out for while i try get them both to be runner and cutter or should i canablize one for the other? Since one all ready been taken apart to be used as parts.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220904-124557_OfferUp.jpg
    Screenshot_20220904-124557_OfferUp.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 1
Damn! I was talking to the guy about buying those lol! I thought that picture looked familiar. I would take a look at both pistons and which ever one looks better focus on getting that one running.

Small world eh. I couldnt pass them up at that price. I was gonna pop mufflers and check pistons before getting to excited. Since my 045 super need piston and probably a cylinder.

Get one running. I would highly recommend adding an electronic chip which is a little challenging because of space limitations. With the right chip you can remove the condenser and points. Also, I feel that with the chip you get a little more power. Good luck

Get one running. I would highly recommend adding an electronic chip which is a little challenging because of space limitations. With the right chip you can remove the condenser and points. Also, I feel that with the chip you get a little more power. Good luck
I have the oregon replacment i bought for my 028. Which i didnt install. That i going to install on my complete 031 to get it running since it has no spark as of this moment

Biggest hurdle you already have covered. The non-electronic ignitions were prone to fail (saw would start & run but stopped when warm and wouldn't start again until cool) so since both of yours have the good ignition you should be all set. Parts and partial saws abound for that model so make them both runners on the cheap!!

I bought used AV031 from a neighbor 1996 or so and it's been the most reliable chainsaw I've ever had.

It's little noisy, little heavier than I would like and also vibrates little more than modern saws, but it works always when needed.
Replaced all anti vibration parts last year but it made no noticeable difference.

Still running fine with points & condenser.

Back