031av minty fresh - couple questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boozer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My son tracked down seller with two 031av saws, one in pieces and the other
had carb/air filter off "trying to get her running". Needless to say he wasn't able to.

The boy is relentless with his tinkering and is getting adept at the carb rebuilds, line
replacement etc. Yet to try major repair but it's coming. So we bought both - $200

He got one not in pieces going in no time and the ol' gal purrs so nice yet when we go to
use throttle it dies. Starts right up again no problem. What's to be done to fix this issue?

Also I am going to attach pictures of cases he had with them and I wonder if they are old school
Stilh cases (no name on them)...never seen before. Also was the price ok? Plenty of surprises in
the parts box...carbs/lines/new gold 'pro' chain/...

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image(7).jpg
    image(7).jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 66
  • image(8).jpg
    image(8).jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 68
  • image(9).jpg
    image(9).jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 58
Those look very nice! Those cases look to be the real deal. This saw does have its ignition issues with the condenser, but in this case sounds more to me like fuel supply. Could be an impulse line, fuel line/filter, or simply carb adjustment. The carb really should be gone through as well if not done already. Again, very nice saws.

Thanks for the input Sam! Just spent quality time in garage with boy who put the damn thing
back together and we almost got her to fire...
Do you know what factory type plugs came with it by any chance? Figure they may have something
to do with it? All lines new and one was purring last nite but failed to fire today...hmmm.

Check out finished but still not running pix, think you'll enjoy them. These older models are built like tanks!

Thanks for taking the time with rookies.

Attachments

• image(10).jpg
    image(10).jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 14
"when we go to use throttle it dies. Starts right up again no problem."

Turn the L (low) adjustment screw out about 1/8 turn.

J2F

Check the carb settings first, then check/replace the fuel line. A soft line will collapse under load and a line with a hole can't maintain the vacuum needed to pull fuel when loaded.

Hey thanks J2F...will give that a go after dinner on the oldies.

I see you have an 026...ours screams full throttle but take finger off trigger it bogs and dies.
All new lines + carb kit...do we mess with the H + L too? Any input would help as he is flying
blind with carb adjustment. (nice $30 dollar CL find)

Cheers.

Thanks for the links + info fellas.

He will have the weekend to fuss over them...let you know what happens.

Latest posts

Back