032 lives!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TN-ELK

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The 032 came to life tonight. She got plenty uh sparky now! Tons of compression and sounds strong. Many, many thanks to pioneerguy600 and stoolie10 for their advice and guidance. Can't wait to get this ole girl into some wood. Got uh 16" bar and chisel chain mounted and ready. All I'm in need of now is an idle screw as I broke the one on it off by not payin attention. If anybody's got an xtra-un I'd be mighty grateful.

Post some pictures of how you fixed it or try to explain it. Many time a Nova module will elimanate the points and these saws and brings them back to life.

ive got a friend who has a couple parts 031's. what is your carby? ill check his out and see what we got.

Just curious if you used the 31-9334 electronic module? The module will work with a points swap out or a bad electronic trigger unit.

Last edited:
I'll get some pics up soon. I tried to replace the entire points system with a Nova 2 as I've done before on 031's, but it still had no fire. I picked up a 31-9334 trigger unit as suggested by stoolie10 and installed it in place of the Nova and "WALLLLAH!", plenty O-Fire to go around. I think it might have to do with the magnet design on the 032 versus the 031. Either way, I can confidently say that the #9334 trigger module WILL fix an 032 coil and a Nova 2 WILL fix an 031 coil as long as the coil is good. It'll be a day or two before I can cut anything, I've got to locate an idle adjustement screw for the carb.. I searched around some of the local Stihl shops today, but no luck thus far. Thanks for the check on the 031, but I think it's a different set-up, but I may be wrong. I have already returned the last 031 I rebuilt back to it's owner.

032 idle screw

I'll get some pics up soon. I tried to replace the entire points system with a Nova 2 as I've done before on 031's, but it still had no fire. I picked up a 31-9334 trigger unit as suggested by stoolie10 and installed it in place of the Nova and "WALLLLAH!", plenty O-Fire to go around. I think it might have to do with the magnet design on the 032 versus the 031. Either way, I can confidently say that the #9334 trigger module WILL fix an 032 coil and a Nova 2 WILL fix an 031 coil as long as the coil is good. It'll be a day or two before I can cut anything, I've got to locate an idle adjustement screw for the carb.. I searched around some of the local Stihl shops today, but no luck thus far. Thanks for the check on the 031, but I think it's a different set-up, but I may be wrong. I have already returned the last 031 I rebuilt back to it's owner.

you can always make up your own idle screw if you have the spring. my idle screw was missing on my 032 & I made a screw from a hex bolt, just take a hack saw & cut a nice groove in it. I just use a small stihl screw driver to set the idle adjustment.:chainsawguy:

So far, no luck matchin it to another saw that I've found. My plan is to go to a local nut & bolt supply house in town this week. They should be able to match the length and thread size. We'll gitr goin in uh day or two. The hard parts over now.

The nova swaps works great for both of the 031-032 saws. The 031 you have to reverse the polarity of them and the 032 you don't. I have done this will a few of these saws and they run great afterwords. I have not used that type (31-9334) of trigger unit before. Give us some more details on it. Just wondering where you got it and if it's cheaper than the Nova. I buy mine at Napa and they are $18 each.

ignition

The nova swaps works great for both of the 031-032 saws. The 031 you have to reverse the polarity of them and the 032 you don't. I have done this will a few of these saws and they run great afterwords. I have not used that type (31-9334) of trigger unit before. Give us some more details on it. Just wondering where you got it and if it's cheaper than the Nova. I buy mine at Napa and they are $18 each.

I got my 31-9334 ignition module from K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts for 13.99 plus shipping. The only thing that I can think of is that TN-ELK may have a bad NOVA module? I have never used the NOVA module.

I got my 31-9334 ignition module from K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts for 13.99 plus shipping. The only thing that I can think of is that TN-ELK may have a bad NOVA module? I have never used the NOVA module.

That's very much possible. Wonder if there's any way to check a Nova to see if it's defective? The 31-9334 is an aftermarket copy of a trigger module for a Kawasaki 4-stroke that is used in some John Deere mowers. I called a local JD dealer and the OEM part is 70.00. I could tell that they thought I was a "NUT" when they asked what model of mower I was working on and I told them it was far a Stihl saw!!!! A friend of mine who owns a small engine shop was able to order it for 18.00 from an aftermarket parts supplier and it came in the same style box as the Nova 2. Just a different part# on the box. It even had the same wiring kit. It just connected to the wire that went to the points. It took longer to mount it than it did to make the conection. It would be nice to know what differences (if any) there are between the 2 units.

Latest posts

Back