036 Pro Crankshaft - worth rebuilding?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCPABill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
All,

Thanks for the help in the past. I appreciate very much what all of you have to say, so here's the latest....

A bunch of guys get together to process about 7 cords of logs for a widow, me and another guy are the main cutters. We start early so there is something to split, and four hours later, we were done. Unfortunately, only three logs were left, I was cutting through two at a time, and the chain acted just like it jumped off. Sat down, took off the cover, and the sprocket and clutch? were turned about 10 degrees (by eye).

I really like the saw - its in good shape, 20 inch bar, just a nice set-up, with new bar and 4 chains. Would you put the time into seeing what the rebuild costs, or should I start chasing down another saw? I would probably have the Stihl dealer do the work in that I've never been in that deep, and I'm pretty busy right now.

Thanks in advance for your time,

Bill

You're clutch bearing didn't grenade did it? Causing the drum to look cocked maybe. If it does need major work the info is here on AS and a lot of guys will be able to help. Might be as simple as buying a used bottom end and transfering everything over. Check the simple things first.

You're clutch bearing didn't grenade did it? Causing the drum to look cocked maybe. If it does need major work the info is here on AS and a lot of guys will be able to help. Might be as simple as buying a used bottom end and transfering everything over. Check the simple things first.

yup. hopefully it's a minor thing;)

Pretty easy to check,

pop that clip off and pull the sprocket/drum/bearing.

I bought an 036 that had a broken crankshaft where it's threaded for the clutch.

I bought a used crankcase on eBay for $50 and put it all back together. Ran great.

Was actually cheaper than the usual scored piston/cylinder kit replacement that we usually run in to.

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to the into it tonight.

Bill

I bought an 036 that had a broken crankshaft where it's threaded for the clutch.

I bought a used crankcase on eBay for $50 and put it all back together. Ran great.

Was actually cheaper than the usual scored piston/cylinder kit replacement that we usually run in to.

Upon further investigation (took chain off), this is exactly what happened to mine. How hard is it to replace the crank in one of these?

There are several complete crankcases on eBay right now for $59 and less. It is a little gamble that the bearings are good, but in the scheme of things most saws aren't parted out from bad bearings compared to toasted top ends, and hopefully the seller would check the bearings for obvious problems. I would go that route myself, and if the bearings feel smooth put your jug on it and pressure test the seals. You may get out for just the cost of the crankcase. I did.

If you want to replace the crankshaft, bearings , seals, etc. it is going to get expensive fast and you would likely be better off to sell the saw or part it out and buy one in good shape.

Back