038 - spur to rim sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grawil

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm thinking about ordering a new sprocket for my 038. It is cutting well and I haven't had any troubles with it but I bought it used with a rocked chain and a blown tip. The oiler was working fine this past weekend so it I'm guessing it was run dry.

In switching from a spur to a rim sprocket, do I need to consider anything else? i.e. the oiler or clutch? Is there any difference between buying stihl or oregon parts? Will I need any special tools to do it?

Thanks to bcorradi for the rough instructions in another thread.

I would replace the spur sprocket with a newer rim system. It isn't too difficult to change, but it is a bit more in depth than newer saws because the clutch assembly is located behind the cover you see on the clutch side.

I haven't putzed with an 038 for a while, but I believe these are the rough steps to changing the sprocket.

1) Remove the inner guide (brass looking plate that is over the bar studs) by removing one flathead screw.

2) Remove the 4-5 screws that hold the cover that surrounds the sprocket on the clutchside.

3) Remove the Eclip and washer that is on the end of the crank.

4) Remove the snap-ring that is located against the cover and goes over the spurs.

5) Remove the cover that you removed the screws from in step #2.

6) You'll now be able to see the clutch assembly. In order to remove the clutch drum you will need to remove both of the oiler worm gears. The one that is on the lower right can be removed by turning it clockwise with your finger. The other one just slides off. Now you should be able to remove the clutch drum and slide the new one on.

The 038 had 3 drive systems,one piece spur,replaceable spur and rim drive.

If I'm not mistaken the rim and one piece spur used oil pump drive gear 1119-642-1501 ,with driven gear 1119-640-7100. The two piece spur used gear 1119-642-1500,with driven gear 1117-640-7100 .

Last edited:
Thanks Al. Going by what you wrote, I believe I have one piece spur as I need to remove the cover on the side of the crankcase to remove the spur.

attachment.php

The IPY I have doesn't list the two-piece spur?

attachment.php

In changing to a rim drive, it looks like #29 replaces #5 and #23, #24 are replaced by #30, #31, #32.

Can anyone confirm the oil pump drive gear I have is ok with either a rim or a one-piece spur? I checked Bailey's but they do not lists a spur (rim or one-piece) for the 038.

Cheers,
Graham

Last edited:
Hi grawil,if its any help i have just replaced an old one piece sprocket an a 038 mag to a rim system,according to the bill from the stihl dealer that i got the parts from the replacement rim kit is part no 1119 007 1003,pretty easy replacement really,can guide you through it if ya want,im new to stihls so its been a steep learning curve,made much easier by the info on this site!

Regards
Neil

Stihl 038 MAG (not runnin right,will be pestering people on this forum!!!)
Sachs Dolmar 115 (parts saw)
Makita 5200i
Sachs Dolmar 111

:buttkick: :givebeer: :chainsaw:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back