039 against 390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in all your opinions, what would be the best saw. my 038 av super professional saw was kidnapped so this is my choice. cant find another one

in all your opinions, what would be the best saw. my 038 av super professional saw was kidnapped so this is my choice. cant find another one

You ain't gonna be happy with either after the 038 super.

You need an 044/ms440

You ain't gonna be happy with either after the 038 super.

You need an 044/ms440

Randy's right your not gonna be happy going from a prograde saw to a mid grade home owner with less power to weight ratio advantage,,,

440 441 460,,,

10-4 on that. 440 or 460 IMO....

great minds think alike eh????

Last edited:
Depends on his needs. The 039/MS390 has plenty of power. Just a tad under a 440 at about the same overall weight. The price is much cheaper making it much harder to justify the extra $$ for a saw that won't be used "professionally". Nothing wrong with a 039 at all. Built tough and with the same heavy duty crank bearings as the bigger Stihl saws, like the 090 etc.... Ask someone who has actually run one. Plenty of people on this site attest to their power and reliability.

Last edited:
Depends on his needs. The 039/MS390 has plenty of power. Just a tad under a 440 at about the same overall weight. The price is much cheaper making it much harder to justify the extra $$ for a saw that won't be used "professionally". Nothing wrong with a 039 at all. Built tough and with the same heavy duty crank bearings as the bigger Stihl saws, like the 090 etc.... Ask someone who has actually run one. Plenty of people on this site attest to their power and reliability.

My 390 has been good so far. I'm not a pro, and i don't pretend to be one on arboristsite. If it weighs an extra pound, i don't notice it or care. It must run my 24" bar pretty well, because i haven't even bothered to "mod" it.:D

thats it guys, you said it all. i am using it as a professional saw. i run a tree care bussiness and thats why i had the 038 av super professional saw. i hope the 039 can match up to it or at least better than the 038. whats your opinion guys. can it handle what the 038 super can!

Can't honestly say one way or another. Some major commercial firewood guys around here have been using 029's and 039's and have told me they're very satisfied with them, especially the cost. I talk to a lot of them at a friends saw shop and they've been surprised at how well they perform. Most are cutting smallish oak under 14#. As audiblestinker stated, he pulls a 24# bar and chain with no problems. To be safe, if you're making a living off the saw, I'd seriously consider the 044/440. Only because it is a little easier to repair. Not much, but a little less time consuming.

thats it guys, you said it all. i am using it as a professional saw. i run a tree care bussiness and thats why i had the 038 av super professional saw. i hope the 039 can match up to it or at least better than the 038. whats your opinion guys. can it handle what the 038 super can!

I owned an 039 for a while. My impressions were it was rather anemic in stock form. I modded the muffler and the attitude totally changed. It pulled a 20" very nicely. That being said and to answer your question, it will not match or be better than the 038. For professional use, find a 44/46.

...and I was just looking at a 390 for a good price on Craigslist!! I think I may hold out for a 044 now!
Rich

...and I was just looking at a 390 for a good price on Craigslist!! I think I may hold out for a 044 now!
Rich

If it's that good of a price and runs good in good shape then it may be a GOOD deal! Can't go wrong with a GOOD deal!

Back