041 FB running again ........Kinda

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Assassin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
well i finally got her back together tonight the tapping of the cyl exhaust manifold to 6mm and lock tight has done the trick the muffler is holding great

i put all new gaskets on the intake

fired her up still at WOT it would stall i richened the high side up till she tached 10 800 to 11000 ish

accelerates great runs great
cuts good (what lil i did in the dark)
but

she smokes pretty good

and at idle she sounds like a old hot rod with a big cam

seems to me she is loping

i am thinking that the timing is off when i switched the whole points assembly over to new crankcase i eyeballed it as i have no way to set timing or to be honest no clue how to do it and lack of tools im sure

your thoughts appreciated

accelerates great runs great
cuts good (what lil i did in the dark)
but

she smokes pretty good

and at idle she sounds like a old hot rod with a big cam

seems to me she is loping

Well, if it accelerates great and runs great and cuts good, you are good to go!

I wouldn't worry if it smokes a bit at first, but if it continues you may need to look into the oiler, as the o ring deteriorates over time and the oiler will definately spill oil into the combustion chamber.

The idle of an 041 is like that. When they are adjusted correctly, the idle is not smooth. At idle, with the 041, you can almost count the explosions, and they miss a few now and then. Nothing to worry about. If you adjust the low speed to make the 041 idle smooth, it will be too lean to give a nice snappy throttle response. That is why anyone who knows the 041 will tell you why they love to hear them idle.

Bob

yea sounds like she's a beast again.that was the way it ran for me when i had it i always loved the way it idled i shouldn't have sold it but i got in to coon hunting and you know how that goes.but i sold it to fix my hunting light but one day I'll get a other one.but congrats on getting her fired up again.but I'll have to wait until i get one for fire wood first and then get one to play around with :msp_biggrin:

If the saw seem like it's about to die at idle, and seems like it's 'missing' but when you pull the trigger to WOT she doesn't hesitate you've got yourself a good runnin' tuned Stihl horizontal cylinder saw. There is nothing like the sound of them, enjoy it! You're right, the hit/miss kinda sounds like a lopey cammed V-8.

i bet it may be that o ring on the oiler

as i never checked the one in the used crank case i used

how does it come out to re place the oiler o ring?

The oiler comes out the front of the saw. It is right by the chain adjuster screw. Remove the lock ring and then take a screw from the starter and thread it into the top hole of the oiler. Then you can pry it out with a screwdriver. There is a black seal around the outside of the oiler that may be getting bad as well. The o-ring is found by removing the plunger. Just pull it out of the oiler body. I am not sure if the o-ring is available from Stihl, as I don't have a dealer close by. I have used a standard size o-ring from NAPA that works, but is not actually the correct size.

Good Luck,,,,But I would run the saw a little before jumping to conclusions about whether the oiler is actually going bad. Usually when the o-ring is very worn, so much bar oil will seep into the crankcase and combustion chamber that it will actually hydrolock the saw and you can't turn the engine at all. People mistake it for a frozen engine.

Bob

Last edited:
boy i feel like a dummy

it cut great this morn and after running a half tank i put some of my 50 to 1 mix i use in all my saws i noticed the smoke getting less n less

i get home and was playing with a homlite super 2 i think it has 2 triggers
it will not oil at all i pour some of the 40 to 1 mix i had put in the stihl last night
guess what it smoked like a freight train

apparently i think a double oiled that batch or something

any way she ran so dang good today the makita didnt get used hardly at all

:msp_lol: sounds like you mixed it allot more then you thought.i done that a couple of times my self.but as long as you found out what it was and didn't have to replace anything.you did good for your first rebuild.now you will be like the rest of us for long with a lot of saws and parts but won't have enough space to put them all.

Good that you figured out the troubles. Enjoy the saw! Once you've used it for a while you are going to wonder what an 041AV would feel like. They cut down the vibes an awful lot! Most guys call the AV antiquated, but it was the saw to have when no other manufacturers were making AV.

Bob

it runs like a dream

but it will wear you out i think i like it a lil bit better than my makita 6401
but the 041 feels like drivin a tank and the 6401 is like a caddy
but IMO the o41 is a lighter but it will wear on ya

dang still runs like when i had it.I tell ya that lite me up when i seen her running again i knew you couldn't just sell it on e-bay. that you had to fix it back and get it running again :msp_lol:. but i love that saw some much that i had to get me a other one :msp_biggrin: and if everything goes right I'll have it sometime next week hopefully.and then I'll have a beast of a saw to cut wood with again.

Latest posts

Back