044 builds & OEM vs A/M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CsClimbr

Ex-Climber with CAD
Reaction score
I’ve got 2 (maybe 3) 044 builds to start shortly. At least 2 of them need tops for sure, 1 crank, all bearings/seals/gaskets/filters/rubbers yada-yada.

Of course, Id like to obtain as much OEM as possible and plan to utilize the trading post but was curious if anyone had any feedback on which, if any, A/M parts aren’t too shabby if I have no other choice for critical components (pistons, rings, gaskets).

I’ve even considered grabbing a Hutzl/Farmertec complete 440 kits just for non-critical parts if needed (plastics, bushings, grommets, hardware, gaskets etc.

Also, would there be a lower cost source for bearings of the same quality other than local Stihl? After grabbing my ankles for 200t bearings, I shutter to even ask them :eek:

Thanks in advance!

For 1128 series (aftermarket)-
“No”
-rubber fuel/impulse lines
-most AM cylinders
-some clutch drums
-clutch springs from Farmertec
-decomp valves
-some air filters (white pleated with foam gasket are decent)
-fuel filters
-some brake components
-most chinese bearings (just too inconsistent... sometimes 5:1 ratio of bad to good)
-wrist pin bearing

“Yes”
Plastics (air filter base for 460 style may need to be sanded for better choke function)
Meteor pistons
Smalls (av screws, bushings, etc.)
Oregon bars/chains
Some brake components
Some air filters
Nachi bearings for flywheel side
Clutch drum bearings

Here's how I usually go through a saw Seamus, and btw I'm betting at least ONE;) of those saws the cylinder will be usable with some work.

Make all attempts to recover OEM cylinder. If not, especially with as many 044s as seem to be out there, find a used OEM jug here. Meteor or OEM piston, with the corresponding stock or Caber ring. Due to price I will consider new Husky P&C when doing those depending on the $$s of the overall build.

Nachi FW C3 crank bearing. PTO side, seals, gasket, all from dealer.

All other gaskets and rubbers, OEM. Carb kit from WB or Zama. I use a specific ebay vendor for my kits.

I haven't had to replace many plastics, I consider the cosmetics when I buy the unit for repair. If something is un-usable then most likely the rest of the saw is in similar condition, so used parts sourced from here or the Bay are fine.

Does that help at all?? Good luck with your projects man!

Wow, well that clears things up! Thanks for the replies!

And yes @cuinrearview clears lots up! I look forward to that 1 in particular ;) she was purty!

The other basket case I picked up id like to be thorough as I can be, I’ve taken shortcuts in the past and more harm than good came of it :dizzy:

Go to your local dealer and ask them to order a set of gaskets. It includes all of the gaskets and all of the seals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will do! And hopefully they should have my brand new 661 case half and 2 full sets of gaskets/seals waitin’ for me when I get there. Too many projects, I need more :laugh:

Latest posts

Back