044 crankshaft replace, or not to replace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungBuck44

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
so when i took my 044 crank and case to the local mechanic(mostly works on cars but does small engine repair) he told me my crankshaft was junk because theres some bluish tint to the copper on the clutch said it got to hot, the cranks seems fine i dont see any warping it still spins nice no vertical play only slight side to side, now i was just curiouse if i could still use it because im having a hard time finding 10mm cranks, the only one i came across they wanted 85$ used, i dont wanna buy a new/used one if i can re-use this one but i also dont wanna put this back in if it will ruin my saw i trust and value everyones advice here so i thought i would just ask you guys for a second opinion.View attachment 213401View attachment 213402View attachment 213403View attachment 213404

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

What do the cases look like? Looks like a whole lotta rubbin' was goin on. Are the bearing rollers themselves blued? If not, i'd slap it back together and run it!

Check the bearing seat on the PTO side (clutch side) of the case. It looks like it could be loose. If it is, you'll need to replace the case.

i actually havent taken the bearings out of either side yet, i tried tapin them out with a socket but there in there good and havent tried anything further, pto side bearing is what went out runners still stuck on the crank shaft and the outer part is still in the case stuck there good for the moment there was only two bearing balls left on the pto side when i craked the case

i actually havent taken the bearings out of either side yet, i tried tapin them out with a socket but there in there good and havent tried anything further, pto side bearing is what went out runners still stuck on the crank shaft and the outer part is still in the case stuck there good for the moment there was only two bearing balls left on the pto side when i craked the case

Well punch the runner from the PTO side bearing out of the case and then check the bearing seat real good. I see where the crank was contacting it.

Run it!!!

If the rod bearing looks good, run it!!
Same thought I had! I've seen cranks reused even when the connecting rod was discolored...I wouldn't do that, but I think the condition of the conn rod and bearing are the paramount considerations for most crank usability questions

Same thought I had! I've seen cranks reused even when the connecting rod was discolored...I wouldn't do that, but I think the condition of the conn rod and bearing are the paramount considerations for most crank usability questions

i think i will..... hmmm i will update you when i purchase new bearings

Latest posts

Back