044 vs. 440 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bvaught

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What is the difference in these two saws? I know there is a little bit more power in the 440 but how did they get this power?

Funny, I still think the 044 had more power, obviously not recalling things accurately. But still seems like they were snappier than they are now. :umpkin:

I think if you buy the magnum model its because you have a bigger penis than 044 owners. :p At least thats what my wife and girlfriends tell me.

this topic brings me to a subject i have been thinking of for a while.. back in 01 i bought a brand spankin new 046 Magnum.. it ran great but the oiler was pathetic.. cranked to max with the factory 32" bar just didnt do much.. i sold that saw about 2 months after i got it.. now just recently i got an OLD model 044. it just feels stronger than that 046 mag.. and the oiler puts out a TON! with a 32" bar that thing sprays bar oil all over the place! and cuts the same kind of wood much faster! dont know what they did on the newer saws.. but even my 036 Pro has the pathetic oiler on it.. cranked up with a 20" stihl brand bar dont show much oil.

I think the main thing they did was that they put the 0 at the other end of the number. it seems to really confuse the heck out of alot of people. :p

I often wonder if the saw being built today are as good? I almost bought a 1991 model never run 288xp, It had been on showroom floor,and never sold beautiful saw, I compared to a brand new saw a 385 on the shelf, night, and day difference in the look, feel, the plastic was better looked like heavier duty plastic. All the new saws have all these epa approved carbs, makes you wonder what they reall put out, but some of the older saws seem more stout, and im not talking about real old saws, saw built even 5 or 10 yaers ago, seem stouter, it seems like early to mid 90s had some pretty god saws, 272 288 044 046 066, my 044 is somerwhere in 90s model, I just picked up a brand new ms440, different look, and feel plastics different, feels alot different to me, I am not putting down 440 because I have not run one, could be better, but I like the feel of the earlier saws just seem stout.

In 2000 the 044/046 got a power upgrade via a widening of the intake port-about a half hp. Then you can break it down further-the differences between the 044 and the 044 Magnum. I've been over this with a friend of mine, and just by going through the IPL's and tech notes, about as good as we could find was that the pre-'94 044 had a 10 mm wrist pin, where the ones that came after have a 12 mm wrist pin. And we found differences in p/n's for the mufflers. It's been a while since we talked about it, but I remember it being a cloudy subject, and we couldn't find any black and white lines, but even found a couple of contradictions in the available info.

Jeff

the ms440 without the dual port cover Stihltech is talking about is likely slower than a 044 mag. Buy the cover and increase the size of the existing outlet slightly and you will have a saw that has stock 372 power.

The ported "casing" is a great feature for keeping head temps acceptable when running hard or in hot weather. And the extra nut is noticeable.
But there are also 2 differently sized ports on the actual exhaust bodies found on 044's, regular and bunny-hugger.

Jeff,

I congradulate you on your excellent post. That is exactly what I was looking for out of this thread.

Latest posts

Back