Stihl 044 vs 044 Magnum, (advertised as "repair or for parts"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph Acquisto

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How to tell a 044 vs 044 Magnum, besides decals and decompression device? This one has no Magnum visible on it. But one of the covers looks newer than the rest.

What would one be worth, with a clutch (missing spring and "etc.") and a balky carb? No bar or chain. Never owned or run a "big saw" and It's a distance from me so, "doing my research".

I have had14 044`s in my time and never seen an 044 Magnum, the MS440`s had the magnum stickers on them. The 044`s had screw on fuel and oil tank caps, the MS440`s have flippy caps on both tanks. The Magnum stickers have no effect on how the saws cut. Each saw is worth a different price for me depending on its physical condition, need close up pics for me to make a determination on a price, one needs to look closely at beat up parts saws for broken /cracked chassis parts, especially around the AV buffers, broken plastic parts are cheaper than metal chassis components.

Latest posts

Back