038AV Magnum II, Brazil made

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, picked up one of these yesterday. It is in very good shape but needs a few things and a good cleaning.
via the SN (3245….) it is a Brazil saw, not Germany. Does that reduce the value?
so far most of the parts are matching with the list I got from Ray. I’m not sure on the cyl but it is 1119 Stihl so that’s good, just not sure it it is the 50 or 52mm as I can’t see the rest of the # without pulling the cyl. P&c are in great shape and rings look good…175 for comp.
top has “A16A” and the SK logo Stamped on it. Does that tell me anything about the size?
carb is a BING 48a101a so that checks.
muffler is only a dual port but is all OE. Clutch cover is the smaller size, not the tall one listed for this saw so may be a replacement. Pt# doesn’t match the schematic but is still a 1125 series. Only one small dog so I should probably upgrade.
Is it worth restoring? I’ve never had one so know zip.
any 038 experts here? 😀

thanks
My understanding is the only difference between the 038 Mag and the Mag 2 is the number of ports on the muffler. I thought the Mag 2 had 3 ports, but I am not the authority on this. Both the Mag and Mag 2 have a 52 mm piston. SOUnds as though you don't really need to find out anytime soon, with 175 psi. If it's not beat up, it's likely all original, or so one hopes.
There is an aftermarket rim sprocket clutch drum available for this saw, which I believe often came with a spur sprocket.

These are tough saws that can even stand up to a certain amount of milling. A bit heavier than the 044, but maybe more torque and amazing durability. Hope you enjoy it!

My understanding is the only difference between the 038 Mag and the Mag 2 is the number of ports on the muffler. I thought the Mag 2 had 3 ports, but I am not the authority on this. Both the Mag and Mag 2 have a 52 mm piston. SOUnds as though you don't really need to find out anytime soon, with 175 psi. If it's not beat up, it's likely all original, or so one hopes.
There is an aftermarket rim sprocket clutch drum available for this saw, which I believe often came with a spur sprocket.

These are tough saws that can even stand up to a certain amount of milling. A bit heavier than the 044, but maybe more torque and amazing durability. Hope you enjoy it!
I used it for a few loads but will eventually sell it. Plenty of torque with a 7t rim and 24” bar…probably better with a 20.
im kind of thinning the herd…down to 12 now :p

Back