038AV Magnum II, Brazil made

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think this is used any more. My IPL refers this part number back to some bulletin and is also marked with an asterisk leading me to believe it is discontinued. I've only ever encountered the rubber manifold, insert ring and the steel reinforcement around the studs.
You are correct. Not sure what year they stopped using that particular gasket but both my mags are early to mid 90’s and neither had a gasket between the carb and intake boot.

Got the saw up and running. Carb settings a bit off…takes at least 1 1/4 turn to idle and runs better closer to 1 1/2 turns. May need a new carb.
or, another session in the sonic tank…
the oiler…doesn’t :p. Anyone rebuilt one of them? I have o-rings but it looks like it would need a new sealing ring and I’d bet those are none to be found. Are aftermarket oilers any good for these?
put a 7t and a 24” bar on it for testing.

Those oilers are pretty robust. I have found the plastic gear stripped on the worm gear that inserts into the oiler, check the clutch and drum carefully for overheating. If it shows signs replace them. Flush the oil pump out with non chlorinated brake clean then disassemble the control bolt and pump piston, be careful with the seals and they will be ok. do not use carb cleaner on them! With the pump off and the tank drained remove the bar oil pickup hose to inspect and wash the screen...blow out the hard tube. There are 3 versions of carb.. Bing, Tilly and Zama. Zama and tilly are still available new. The largest carb bore is zama then tilly then bing. You will notice a power difference running the slightly larger bore carb and the secondary pressure/vac line from the filter back through the carb grommet. Put a drizzle of oil into the oil pump to help prime it and start it right after assembly. I often find snap rings missing on the clutch drum that will allow movement resulting in oil pump gears not engaging under load.
These saws are Heavy but man do they have grunt and have great oiler output. I'll see if I can dig up a clip of one I built.

Fyi the original sprocket covers did not have a hole between the bar studs, later it was added as a side tensioner was added. I prefer the og screw on air cover vs the twist to lock, its more robust.
Here is a 48mm wood boss I built last year and later sold.

Up and running😁
Oil issue was a blown gasket...replaced and all works now, no leaks.
It is a bit nose heavy with the 24" and that surprised me for a 72cu saw.
I found I have to manually flip the lever to 'run' as it doesn't do that automatically after choke, click up one...fast idle. Up one more click and it idles/runs as expected.
I'm not sure if this is just a quirk of this carb or if it isn't working properly.

Will try it on some logs this week.
20230214_182744.jpg20230214_182804.jpg

If the lever is in choke position you have to manually click up one notch to the fast idle position. From there if you squeeze the throttle it will automatically kick up to the idle position.
Yup, figured it out after a while, lol.
never had one like this before 🤪
first time it went fast idle I thought it had a big air leak, lol

Those oilers are pretty robust. I have found the plastic gear stripped on the worm gear that inserts into the oiler, check the clutch and drum carefully for overheating. If it shows signs replace them. Flush the oil pump out with non chlorinated brake clean then disassemble the control bolt and pump piston, be careful with the seals and they will be ok. do not use carb cleaner on them! With the pump off and the tank drained remove the bar oil pickup hose to inspect and wash the screen...blow out the hard tube. There are 3 versions of carb.. Bing, Tilly and Zama. Zama and tilly are still available new. The largest carb bore is zama then tilly then bing. You will notice a power difference running the slightly larger bore carb and the secondary pressure/vac line from the filter back through the carb grommet. Put a drizzle of oil into the oil pump to help prime it and start it right after assembly. I often find snap rings missing on the clutch drum that will allow movement resulting in oil pump gears not engaging under load.
These saws are Heavy but man do they have grunt and have great oiler output. I'll see if I can dig up a clip of one I built.

Never seen a Zama come on an 038, nor a compensator carb of any sort? Is this what is on the 381 saws sold now?

The early 038 48mm bore had a Tillotson with smaller bore. The 038S had a larger bore Tillotson. The 038M had a Bing with same bore as the 038S Tillotson. The latter two carbs have same venturi as I have compared them, and ran the same saw with both.1 038.png

I've seen no difference between the later Tillotson and Bing in performance or tuning (my 038S------> 038M conversions).

Got the saw up and running. Carb settings a bit off…takes at least 1 1/4 turn to idle and runs better closer to 1 1/2 turns. May need a new carb.
or, another session in the sonic tank…
the oiler…doesn’t :p. Anyone rebuilt one of them? I have o-rings but it looks like it would need a new sealing ring and I’d bet those are none to be found. Are aftermarket oilers any good for these?
put a 7t and a 24” bar on it for testing.

Have you examined the piston, and pump bore? If those are sound it can be fixed

The sealing ring 12 X 16 X 3, for the pump drive gear/worm, is listed as "commonly used parts". It was available on the last price list I have (2019) $11

Have you examined the piston, and pump bore? If those are sound it can be fixed

The sealing ring 12 X 16 X 3, for the pump drive gear/worm, is listed as "commonly used parts". It was available on the last price list I have (2019) $11
Turned out the problem was a blown gasket. No leaks now and it oils as it should.

C3-S149
Never seen a Zama come on an 038, nor a compensator carb of any sort? Is this what is on the 381 saws sold now?

The early 038 48mm bore had a Tillotson with smaller bore. The 038S had a larger bore Tillotson. The 038M had a Bing with same bore as the 038S Tillotson. The latter two carbs have same venturi as I have compared them, and ran the same saw with both.View attachment 1059260

I've seen no difference between the later Tillotson and Bing in performance or tuning (my 038S------> 038M conversions).
https://www.baileysonline.com/zama-...ihl-038-chainsaws-replaces-1119-120-0605.htmlI found the new Tilly I ordered was .5 mm larger bore than the bing and the zama was a hair larger than that plus the left side of its throat was not as squared.

Latest posts

Back