051 for milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluehill logger

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a 051 thats in pretty good shape with the intention of using if for milling. Anyone else use this type of setup with an alaskan mill? Does it work well? Also I was wondering if I should keep the .404 or switch over to 3/8?

-rodger

Bluehill logger said:
I just picked up a 051 thats in pretty good shape with the intention of using if for milling. Anyone else use this type of setup with an alaskan mill? Does it work well? Also I was wondering if I should keep the .404 or switch over to 3/8?

-rodger
Cool saw that 051. I just bought one that needed some attention. Today was the first day I got it out and put it in a block of wood. The old thing surprised me, its cuts pretty good to say the least. Not a high reving saw but man a ton of torque. I had it in a 28in. block of oak and it fell through it with ease as if to ask me if I had anything alittle bigger. I set mine up with a new 30in. roller nose bar and full skip chain, .404. It seems to have no problem what so ever pulling that big chain through wood. A 3/8 set up would be easier on the pocket book and may well be a better set up. I put mine at .404 only because thats what it had on it to begin with. I'm gonna see if I can show ya a pic of the ole huzzy here.

Last edited:
Thall, that's a pretty saw....bet she's heavy. I vote for the 3/8" pitch chain, just too many more choices of chain styles and such and only a rim or at worst a rim and drum system to change to go to 3/8". You'll use your torque and HP better, not that you don't have way plenty of it.
J.D.

Diesel JD said:
Thall, that's a pretty saw....bet she's heavy. I vote for the 3/8" pitch chain, just too many more choices of chain styles and such and only a rim or at worst a rim and drum system to change to go to 3/8". You'll use your torque and HP better, not that you don't have way plenty of it.
J.D.

You be correct, she is heavy for sure. I gave a ole boy 150.00 for it and he used that to put down on a new 460.
I put a new sprocket on it, a new sprocket bearing, bar and chain. Still need to work on the oiler. I just went with what was already on it. The 3/8 set up would probly be better but I don't intend on using that big ole huzzy too much, more less a talk piece. She runs pefect and sounds great. Has tons of torque. I like the old thing a bunch. I bought it mainly to just piddle with.................

I guess I'm gonna go with the 3/8. Your definately right the 051 weighs a ton. I haven't had a chance to run it yet, but I can't wait

Bluehill logger said:
I guess I'm gonna go with the 3/8. Your definately right the 051 weighs a ton. I haven't had a chance to run it yet, but I can't wait

If your runs like mine your gonna love it. Heavy as hell but boy all that torque makes it a ball to cut with................

coveredinsap said:
Now there's a milling saw.

Thankya Sap. The old thing is heavy as hell but if ya can get it up on top the log all ya gotta do is squeeze the trigger and let her go. Cuts real smooth and easy. Its one of very few saws I've ever had that you can actually push down on it without the chain stopping or engine rpms droping to a crawl. . Doesn't rev very high at all but sure holds them rpms right there. Has a bunch of torque. She'll go on the shelf as another talk piece cause I sure don't have enough a-- to use it for very long.............

Good for milling though cause there the mill will be mostly supporting the weight of the saw no? Good luck with it,
J.D.

Diesel JD said:
Good for milling though cause there the mill will be mostly supporting the weight of the saw no? Good luck with it,
J.D.

Weight isn't much of an issue when milling because as you say, the weight is supported. You do have to be real careful though when entering and particularly or exiting the wood - the weight gets off center. The last cut is the worst with a heavy rig, when you are basically crawling along on the ground through a mountain of sawdust - very awkward...

When using a saw that has top fill caps (like the 051) you don't have the option of refilling gas and oil when in the wood. It's a real pain to thread the mill out of a long cut past the wedges etc just to refill, so gauge your gas/oil use on a per cut basis to anticipate refills.

Back