056 Mag II the dreaded SEM death or so i thought....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryans81

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

First time posting on here but have a couple of saws so have been reading and learning for a little while now. (So sorry in advance as this maybe a little long...if you want the end now, here it is, Thanks for the knowledge of all you people out there)

First things first, i own a 028av Super (20"), 2x Ms461 (20"), a 056av MagII (25") (as the title suggests) and a cheap 66cc ebay saw (20") that was my first saw and also the first repairer that i dove in on, as the name suggest cheap....Residing in Melbourne Victoria, Australia.

So as the title states i bought a 056 MagII a little while a go for a not bad price and ran pretty darn perfect for what i needed albeit a little on the heavy side. I had been using it off and on for a little bit cutting and collecting firewood, then it was shelved for a little bit with the seasons changing and not used as i got the cheap ebay one working again and it was plastic fantastic so a truck-load lighter to use. I would always take the 056 with me but rarely did i cut anything too big that it was required, until it was.

Then the constant pulling and pulling to no avail....tried a few things to see if that would get it going but nope, nothing, so had to rely on the cheapy...Then the researching and reading and reading, about 056av magII's and their dreaded ignitions, to find mine was a SEM version and having my heart drop that this might be the end for it, as in all the reading, parts for them were getting harder and harder for the USA guys to find let alone us down here!! So then i pull the old girl a little apart and started to see if i could notice anything blatantly obvious though didnt at first. Checking the killswitch wire to check for grounding, nope not that, then here and there for other little signs of hope. Here i was with all the read post of past people and magII's basically leading me down the path of this SEM ignition is cactus until i had the thought of checking the spark lead for continuity, and what do ya know there was none!!

Now i had myself second-guessing myself, how could this be real, is it couldnt be as simple as a lead needing to be replaced instead of the dreaded SEM ignition??? Well with no spark, a lead that appeared stuffed and nothing else to lose i thought i would just get a replacement and try it, whats the worst that could happen. I would waste a few bucks on a lead? Well thats generally the case probably for you USA guys but here in Aus, parts dont really come that cheap and a 5.5mm sparkplug lead is not all that common and because of that generally are expensive!!

That is of course until i learnt from here about the marvelous website call Huztl (sorry if you dont approve of this webpage for me trying to find parts was the 056 was extrtemely hard over here) and found i could buy some AVAILABLE parts for my old stihl.

So with the Thanksgiving sales you guys over there have and the silly season that is xmas and new years my parts finally arrived (ordered a few extra spares and the likes too, who wouldnt) and today i was able to fit the new lead and guess what? She's alive, back as ballsy as ever!!

So i would like to thank all the people on here that post, repair, pull apart and back together again, as it is without doubt that people that share this knowledge amongst others that make these pages and forums a great place to learn and repair things that would have once thought to have been dead!

Sincerely Thanks

Bryan

Back