.056 vs ms460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carvinmark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Yesterday I was cutting a 50" cottonwood into pieces so sense it's been about a year or so on the shelf for my .056 I figured I'd fire the old beast up as it has a 36" bar on it.She fired right up and runs great(about 15 hrs on new P/C).It seemed like it just didn't have enough power so I grabbed my 460 with a 28" bar and made short work of it.This was like comparing watermelons to grapes.I'll re grind both chains and try it again soon.I was just surprised at the diff.

carvinmark said:
Says 056 AV
electronic would that mean it is a standard?

That would be smaller displacement than the Super or Magnum, but should still fly through that timber.

The tuning and timing is critical on those beasts. I have an 045 (essentially the same as your 056) that pulls far better than my 056 Super - probably down to the timing. Unfortunately it is a bit fiddly to adjust but would probably be worth the effort.

Let us know if you manage to improve it.

Big feller.

Big feller said:
That would be smaller displacement than the Super or Magnum, but should still fly through that timber.

The tuning and timing is critical on those beasts. I have an 045 (essentially the same as your 056) that pulls far better than my 056 Super - probably down to the timing. Unfortunately it is a bit fiddly to adjust but would probably be worth the effort.

Let us know if you manage to improve it.

Big feller.

Thanks for the advise.
Mark

Another thing to consider is the difference in the manner in which these saws are meant to cut. The 056 is a torque monster that is designed to grunt it's way through the wood, whereas the 460 is a higher revving saw, intended to be allowed to cut through wood on it's own at a higher chain speed.

They call for different techniques.

Both great saws regardless.

Jeff

fishhuntcutwood said:
Another thing to consider is the difference in the manner in which these saws are meant to cut. The 056 is a torque monster that is designed to grunt it's way through the wood, whereas the 460 is a higher revving saw, intended to be allowed to cut through wood on it's own at a higher chain speed.

Absolutely. Carvinmark said he was down on power, though.
If the saw is slowing in the cut it is probably off tune.
If it doesn't slow and the chips coming off look good, but it is not cutting as fast as hoped it may be worth checking RPM. Assuming this is OK the next thing to do is replace the 7 tooth sprocket with an 8 which my math tells me should cut about 13% faster. However in this case with such a long bar it doesn't sound like the case. I have an 8 tooth sprocket on the 045 with a 20" bar and a 7 on the 056 Super with a 25" bar. Perhaps someone could suggest an optimum bar length to make the change in easy and difficult timbers.

I don't have experience of cutting that particular wood with such a long bar so will get out now before I'm in too deep.

Big feller.

Stihl4life said:
What happened to it?
I was running it on my mill when it made a strange(not good) noise.I pulled it apart to find one broken cylinder bolt and one backed all the way out on the front side of the cylinder. I decided to put in a new piston,rings , wrist pin,bearing and gaskets with a light hone on the cyc.Just haven't had time to put it together,guess I should be building it now instead of hangin with you guys but I may hot rod this one so I'm really not in a hurry as I have enough saws to squeak by,lol.
Mark:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

lovetheoutdoors said:
Mark how does your 395 stack up to your 066?
Boy oh boy,First off let me make this clear,I think Husky's and Stihl's are GREAT saws,and I don't want to say one is better than the other.As you can see by my signature I use them both,alot.I make my living with them and both have served me well.I think the 066 and the 395xp are a very close match.The 066 feels a little better in my hands,but usually both are used on my mill with 42" bars. the Husky seems to have higher RPM's.Don't know how to answer this.I know I would miss either one if they were gone.:confused:

Back