064 flooding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PWB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A few months ago, this thing started to get hard to start first time. Cut great all day after the initial start. Usually smoked bad for the first 5 or ten seconds like it was flooded. Sometimes a few drops of fuel on the air filter were needed for that first start.
Decided to pull the carb today to have a look, found a little sawdust under both covers, but the carb was basicly very clean. all the geskets, pump diaphram etc. look good. Put it back together, now have a major flooding issue. Had to disconnect the fuel line to the carb to get it to fire, idled about 15 seconds before it stalled. Hook fuel back up, same thing again. Had the carb apart twice now, not sure what's going on. Pulled the needle out for a look the second time, looks like a new one. How high should the lever be sitting? level with the casting it's sitting in, or with the main body? Ony thing I can think of at the moment that would be causing the flooding. Maybe I bumped it the first time I pulled it apart? Had a problem before I got in there though.....

there should be a spring in there.....(for the needle)

since you have had it apart, take it apart again and dip it in a can of carb parts cleaner and let it sit and hour or so, then wash with water and blow dry all the little orifices with compressed air. The carb rebuilt kits are less than 10 bucks.

If you had saw dust in the screened covers, then there is dirt, dust, and grime inside the carb orifices. When you get it back together, change the fuel filter and either clean or replace the air filter.

If it's flooding heavy, you've got dirt or a piece of grit inbetween your needle and seat. Pull the needle and blow it out with air. It has to seal or it will leak fuel.

Dennis Cahoon said:
If it's flooding heavy, you've got dirt or a piece of grit inbetween your needle and seat. Pull the needle and blow it out with air. It has to seal or it will leak fuel.
That was my thought when I pulled it apart the second time. First time I found a little sawdust between the diaphram and the outer plate. There's a vent hole in that plate, and I cut a lot of dead elm with this saw last spring. I found nothing on the other side, so I left the needle and seat alone (first time). Second time I pulled the needle, looks whistle clean and looks like a new needle. Did the compressed air thing too. Guess I'll tear into it again........

Thought I'd post what I finally figured out to prevent someone else from making the same stupid mistake. I'm a long way from being an expert on two stroke stuff even though I am pretty mechanicly inclined.
On this carb, apparently the diaphram hooks directly to the little lever that runs the needle valve, doesn't just sit over it. The valve wasn't closing at all! Never had one apart befor that worked that way. DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that what you were talking about Shoerfast???
Thanks everyone!

Yup!

Back in da day, when I would get a saw from another saw shop, or a DIY carb job, it seemed that was the most common thing.

Sometimes the first clue would be the adj screws all the way in and gas pumping out the exhaust.

It's only a mistake if it happens twice, as the first one is called learning!

Kevin

Latest posts

Back