064av help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hesko1

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen, My first time on the site. I got a great deal on an old 064av last summer that has sat around for years. To my surprize, after putting fuel in it, it started! So I proceeded to buy a 32" bar and chain and new air cleaner and cover. It would start and cut wood like a charm but would eventualy cut out dead and be very hard to start. After tapping on the coil to get it started, I invested in a new coil, lots of pure spark. :msp_smile: Ever since the coil replacement I havn't got it to start. Today I rebuilt the carb with a new kit and still no luck.:msp_angry: I have 30rys experience working on and rebuilding equipment and it seems to me that I have never had any luck rebuiding carbs. I have an old 038av that I bought a new carb for 10 years ago because the tip of the high adjust screw was broke off in the carb. I bought that 038av new in 1984 and it has been an absolute work horse with no other problems. I would like to get this 064av to that condition as well. At this point I can get the saw to run a half second with no fuel in the tank. I have tried adjusting the high and low screws for a 1/4 turn out to 1 full turn and it seems it is still getting to much fuel. The large idle screw is turned all the way out. The saw has alot of compression or to much in my opinion when I'm trying to start it. The only time it pulls nice is when I have pulled the plug and burned the fuel out of the cylinder with a propane torch and heated the plug before reinstalling it. I also bought an 084av at the same time and it started as well, but that is a future project after this 064av. Other saws are 028 or 024 can't remember paid 20.00 bucks all it needed was a fuel line gave it to my dad. Pole saw bought new 2007, 038 av bought new 1984 064av,084av project. The wife and I heat with wood, and I had to do about 2-3 yrs worth of wood with my 038 she splits it! I also have to answer to the money spent on my saws so please help!

If you now got spark from you coil ,you might want to check the impulse line to the carburetor and intake boot for cracks , i would also check the orange valve (the umbrella) in the fuel tank to. often this was the fault with some of my saws,but when i rebulid my first saw i put the gaskets wrong in the carburettor to.

Did you replace the fuel filter and impulse line. If it has sat that long those are two other components that will go bad. The impulse line probably just colapsed on itself. And welcome to the site but you better turn and start running now before the CAD gets a hold of you and you have to add shelves to hold all the saws it will cause you to collect.

You likely have the wrong combination of coil and flywheel, resulting in the spark timing being incorrect. There are several coils that will work, but you need the matching flywheel. Check and see if you flywheel has to keyways.

You likely have the wrong combination of coil and flywheel, resulting in the spark timing being incorrect. There are several coils that will work, but you need the matching flywheel. Check and see if you flywheel has to keyways.

What he said!

this is what Iwas thinking

This is what I was thinking! I just wanted to hear it from someone else. I get plenty of fuel to the cylinder, I just could'nt figueout how the timing could be off? If I have two keyways can I switch to the other? Or do I have to get a mathching flywheel for my new $100 coil? The coil casings are different. Thanks

Shes a keeper

let me get this straight ...............
you cut 2-3 years worth of wood and the wife splits it ????????????

ya wanna get rid of her ??

She is paying off her dog food bill for her THREE Great Danes! If she asks for one more I'll consider a trade!

Very good advice!:msp_thumbup:
I just repaired a little Husky 44 last night with that exact same problem. The flywheel had two keyways and the wrong one was being used. I just love working on saws when someone else has been in there...:msp_razz:

This is what I was thinking! I just wanted to hear it from someone else. I get plenty of fuel to the cylinder, I just could'nt figueout how the timing could be off? If I have two keyways can I switch to the other? Or do I have to get a mathching flywheel for my new $100 coil? The coil casings are different. Thanks

Just switch to the other key if you have two and see what happens.

Just switch to the other key if you have two and see what happens.

I borrowed a flywheel puller from my dealer switched to the other key, and BINGO it started on the third pull!:eek:uttahere2: It's a good thing my wood guy dumped another load, now I'll have something to cut. I guess you can never have to much wood. Please excuse some exprestions in this post! Thanks, and on to the 084av.

Latest posts

Back