$10,000 repair bill, help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Icnchoppers, I like the Kabota engine but I found a Diahatsu. It's the same engine I have in the machine now that was used for a different application. Only a few minor adjustments. Going to try and put it into the machine today to see how it works.

I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. However, your choice of a replacement engine reminds me of an old saying: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
Good luck with this new engine.
Jeff

I got another Diahatsu because I wanted to be able to just drop it in and be done with it. I know they are not very good, but I have two machines with them and they have both lasted for over 800 hours so I should be able to finish up with this engine. I was going to use the old engine for spare parts, but after taken it out and see oil pouring out from the gasket behind the fly wheel, I may take it apart and see if there is interior damage. Maybe I can rebuild it, actually, have someone else rebuild it, I'm not an engine mechanic and wouldn't trust anything I did. Anyway, I think I blew it up by grinding on a steep slope for a couple of hours. Maybe oil spilled into the combustion chamber and may have caused some sort of over compression. Oil seems to have been forced out of a couple of connections where there is o-rings or gaskets and I lost compression.. But I'm a boob when it comes to engine stuff so I don't really know what happened or if it can be repaired. If it can, then the Diahatsu purchase will work out well with and extra engine in case something happen to one of the two running engines.

Good Luck in your repair, at least you will be far from the $10k repair the dealer wanted. One thing you may want to consider is a diesel should get thousands of hours I would think if it is maintained properly.

I paid $4000 for the motor. It was used by Nasa, but not sure what application it was used for. It came with 13 hours of use.

Jimma, there is a place called RCS Diesel in Ludlow Ma. They will rebuild any Diesel engine you can think of. I have used them for some oddball engines that I could not even locate parts for.

heres a simple piece of logic for vermeer owners,

most people buy a vermeer machine cause they live close to a vermeer service center, that has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. buy a machine that always is broken so your close to the dealer to always fix it ! duH, so heres my input,
do the work yourself if you want to put on a little gas engine, or go all out, spend 10K and put a 85 horse power john deere on the machine, my personal opinion, sell it how it sits, the 352 is a piece of junk. buy another grinder before you sink anything into repairing the 352 , lets put it into a resale value. the machine is worth 12,000 no matter how new of a engine you install on it. sell it for 2000 how it sits and walk away !

Back