$100,000 slab

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta have something for the annual AS membership meeting...

Darin, you should pony up for it - feel free to use my credits if ya need to, Lol.

It says the wood fell naturally and has been burried in the ground for 50,000 years. Wonder what keeps it from rotting or petrifing. One thing is for sure...they aint got the termites we have here.

I knew a girl named Kari, and she wasn't as flat as that board.

That is a sweet piece of wood, no question about that. What if we all went in on it, draw lines with a marker and everybody cut their own piece with their saw? I get a end piece.

$1800 slab on Craig's List

View attachment 172774Today, somebody is offering some maple burl slabs on Craig's List in Knoxville. He has two different slabs, one for $900 and the other for $1800. I'm impressed with the asking price and wondering if this guy is actually going to get that much money for these slabs. If so, I may try to mill up a slab myself someday. However, I'll have to do some research on burl. The slabs offered are over 5 feet long and I've attached a photo of one. How does one get a burl log? I have access to some maple trees with very large crowns in them that must be cut down soon, do a lot of branches going out everywhere make burl? Or is the burl part of a tree obtained in the root areas, requiring heavy equipment to dig it up and problems with removing dirt from the wood before cutting. Anyhow, getting $1800 for one slab puts chainsaw milling in a different perspective. I'm gonna read up on burl and see what I can find....

Burl's are formed by a tree that is 'stressed'. Now exactly what kind of stress is still up for a lot of discussion by those that study that kind of thing....disease, buds that did not form and were over grown, possibly bug damage.

I do not consider a limb being removed and over grown as a burl. Some do.....

That Kari would almost be big enough, but it's to narrow. Guess I need to wait until they find a bigger piece.......

Scott

I wouldn't need a table that size, I can fit all my friends around a high line spool. :monkey:

These old logs are preserved in Peat bogs. Locals go on a hunt for them by probing with long rods and once they find one they bring out a big old excavator and load them up on flat beds. These logs are some of the biggest timbers I've ever seen.

Burl's are formed by a tree that is 'stressed'. Now exactly what kind of stress is still up for a lot of discussion by those that study that kind of thing....disease, buds that did not form and were over grown, possibly bug damage.

I do not consider a limb being removed and over grown as a burl. Some do.....

That Kari would almost be big enough, but it's to narrow. Guess I need to wait until they find a bigger piece.......

Scott

Stress??? I don't think there is any definitive answers as to what causes a burl. Could it be stress, maybe maybe not, but using stress as a cause is speculation.

Here is a link to those burls also listed on craigs list. "Maple burl". I would love to hear what he actually gets for them.

Anyone know what kind of mill they are using to cut those huge kauri slabs? It would be neat to see a video of it being milled.

Back