100 dollars in parts = Totalled saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RED-85-Z51

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
I got this saw to work on from a customer...

It's one of those pile of crap Homelite Rangers. I got it, it was locked up tight, with straight gas in the tank, and no oil in the oil tank.

I knocked it free, and put mixed gas in the tank, and a little bar oil in the oil tank. And darned if it didnt fire right up and ran fine. It idled real nice, and revved up fine, no lack of power at all.

I took the clutch off and the drum was shot, and it needs a bar and chain.

I just priced it all out with my local supplier.

Clutch Drum- 30.00 + Tax
Bar- 16" .063ga, .325pitch- Oregon- approx. 40.00
Chain- approx. 25.00.

With all the tax, and a little mark up from me, it is over 100 dollars, BEFORE any labor is added in.

Would this be a "totalled" saw?
It belongs to a business, a home for disabled children. The guy they used to have workign there was totally mechanically challenged. Saw is otherwise like new, super low use!

What would YOU do?

Fix it, knowing the saw isnt worth it, and a comparable saw could be had for just about the cost of repairs.

Tell them that while the saw is fixable, it really isnt worth it, get a new one, and enjoy the warranty.

Tommy-

habanero

habanero

ArboristSite Guru
Dad was an independent mechanic for 30 years, and in every situation like this I saw him encounter he just basically laid out the options to the owner and let them make the choice. I don't know that you can make up their mind for them. I'd tell them how much the repairs will cost, tell them the basic worth of their saw otherwise, and how much a comparable new saw (with warranty) would cost.

If you feel sorry for them, maybe you could look around for used parts to get their saw going and it may be just good enough for what they need. Make it clear (and in writing, probably) that you're putting used parts on and offer no warranty on them and you should be fine.

computeruser

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
What do those combos run?

I try to stay away from box stores.

Thirty bucks, tops, I'd think.

Not sure what the ranger is running presently, but it does OK with a 14" or 16" bar running 3/8" LP. Not the best saw in the world, and not particularly tolerant of neglect, but they do OK if cared for reasonably well.

If you have the saw apart, do them a favor and open the muffler a bit and remove the screen. That way they can err on the side of running it a bit rich and not plug the screen up all the time, which these saws seem prone to doing.

RED-85-Z51

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thirty bucks, tops, I'd think.

Not sure what the ranger is running presently, but it does OK with a 14" or 16" bar running 3/8" LP. Not the best saw in the world, and not particularly tolerant of neglect, but they do OK if cared for reasonably well.

If you have the saw apart, do them a favor and open the muffler a bit and remove the screen. That way they can err on the side of running it a bit rich and not plug the screen up all the time, which these saws seem prone to doing.

This one came with a 16" Bar on it, and the drum has .325 Stamped in it, and as best I can tell it has 0.063 gauge chain on it.

They only use it when a limb breaks off and needs to be chopped up. Lots of oak trees on the property.

---

04 Ultra

Hellz no man...I cant go past a yard sale ot save my life..lol:laugh:

daemon2525

daemon2525

ArboristSite Operative
I was going to tell you exactly what you needed until you said .325 and .063.

The oregonchain website say that the ranger would take a 3/8lp 56dl chain.
That bar and chain is exactly the same as the poulan wildthings and such.
And they are 26-29$ for the combo.

RED-85-Z51

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
I was going to tell you exactly what you needed until you said .325 and .063.

The oregonchain website say that the ranger would take a 3/8lp 56dl chain.
That bar and chain is exactly the same as the poulan wildthings and such.
And they are 26-29$ for the combo.

But why would the clutch have .325 stamped in it?

If I can get a cheap combo, Il all for it!

Im looking at the old drum right now, and it has 7 drive teeth.

The chain has 91 or 19 stamped on the drive teeth, and the bar is an aftermarket oregon one.

RED-85-Z51

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
it's not worth puting a $100 in it, especially if it had been locked up. pull the muffler and check the piston/ cyl, i doubt if it's ok.

Tried. The nuts are rusted TIGHT, and I dont want to risk snapping one off. Ive done that before, and it is a BAD feeling. They use such tiny hardware to hold the thing on...the bolt itself cant be more than 3/16!

daemon2525

daemon2525

ArboristSite Operative
I can't imagine why it would be .325 .

The 91 markings on the chain on confirm what I was saying. Oregons 3/8LP chain is marked 91.

I would measure the chain that you have. between 3 rivits and divide by 2.
And see that it fits your existing sprocket. It the sprocket trashed? Maybe it was a mismatch all along.

RED-85-Z51

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
I can't imagine why it would be .325 .

The 91 markings on the chain on confirm what I was saying. Oregons 3/8LP chain is marked 91.

I would measure the chain that you have. between 3 rivits and divide by 2.
And see that it fits your existing sprocket. It the sprocket trashed? Maybe it was a mismatch all along.

The sprocket is a total loss.

Worn all the way down to the landings between the spurs. Gaps in all the spurs too.

Put it this way. All the spurs are cut in half.

Maybe it's supposed to have .325 chain on it, and a shop installed 3/8lp because thats what the book said?

trimmmed

trimmmed

B?rgermeister
It belongs to a business, a home for disabled children. The guy they used to have workign there was totally mechanically challenged. Saw is otherwise like new, super low use!

What would YOU do?

Tommy-

Hmmmmmm, What would I do?

First I'd ask them what they had that needed cutting and then I'd go cut it, then I'd fix the clutch and get a cheap b/c combo. At that point, give them the bill for the parts( or maybe just lose the paperwork altogether) Then give yourself a quick pat on the back and go hug your kids.

RED-85-Z51

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
I just called a freind and he is going to get me a better deal on a bar and chain if HD doesnt have the size I need.

This place isnt exactly poor though, they have to spend a monthly minimum actually.

Im thinking I might take my Echo up there and show it to em, and see if they might be interested in something like that, if they dont want the "ranger" fixed.

upandcommer

upandcommer

ArboristSite Operative
I nabbed a refurb wildthing from a company in nashville about 6 months ago for 57.00 plus 14 shipping throw the 18" she comes with away put on a 14" and you got one heck of a limbing saw. THey don't last long but for 80.00 total with bar and shipping and the whole nine yards well worth the investment.

RED-85-Z51

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
I nabbed a refurb wildthing from a company in nashville about 6 months ago for 57.00 plus 14 shipping throw the 18" she comes with away put on a 14" and you got one heck of a limbing saw. THey don't last long but for 80.00 total with bar and shipping and the whole nine yards well worth the investment.

I paid 35 dollars for my NEW Poulan Wild Thing.

Good saw, lightweight, good power, no vibrations, and it always cranks on the first or second pull.

I pulled the limiters off and ran it rich through a tank or 2 before I tuned it leaner for power. So far it works fine.

Latest posts