10deg "file guide angle" pros cons?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would like some input on the 10deg "file guide angle" that Oregon shows on their chains.

A little background: I hand file in the field, touching up the chain when I refuel. If I rock a chain or get it in dirt I just swap the chain. I have a (modified) Northern Tool grinder at home that I use when I have several chains to sharpen. I run Oregon full round chisel, 72 LP, LG etc.

Oregon specs a 10deg angle from perpendicular to the top plate. I do that with the Northern grinder but hand filing I don't bother. I really can't tell much of a difference between a chain filed at 0 and one filed at 90. I am thinking about forgetting the 10deg angle and setting the Northern grinder to 0.

I would like to hear your input- pros and cons of the 10deg vs 0deg angle. Am I missing something?
Dok

The Oregon 72 73 75 series chains have a top plate angle that is about 10 degrees of horizontal and that much tilt keeps the file or grinding wheel plane parallell to the top plate. If you do not match that angle with your file you will see a slightly blunter angle near the tip of the top cutter. Some people deliberately use more than the prescribed tilt and achieve a more tender angle near the tip of the tooth for a slight gain in speed. Carlton chain (Woodsman Pro) is flat across the top of the tooth so you dont have to drop the handle though you can, to get that thinner angle on the tip of the top plate. Try it both ways and if it doesnt make any difference then it doesnt make any difference Filing on the bar there is often enough slop in the chain and bar groove that you hit it straight across and it tilts just enough to get the effect.

Back