16" bar on a ms361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run a 16" bar and an 8-pin sprocket on mine. With the 8 pin it still has plenty of torque to bury the 16" bar in red oak or elm. If I need a bigger bar, I go grab a bigger saw! :hmm3grin2orange:

I run an 18” on mine. If it was running a 16” bar, my 5100 would probably blow it into the weeds.

I run an 18” on mine. If it was running a 16” bar, my 5100 would probably blow it into the weeds.

Not unless the 5100 is ported and the 361 stock. The 5100 isn't even close when both are stock!

I mostly run my 361 with 15" and 3/8x8 - but often use 18" for felling.

Last edited:
I don’t know about that. My little red firecracker is pretty spry. If she had a set of wings, I know she could fly. My stocker 361 is kind of a lead sled. Its better with the dual port muffler but it idles like trash. With 16” bars, it would be real close.

I don’t know about that. My little red firecracker is pretty spry. If she had a set of wings, I know she could fly. My stocker 361 is kind of a lead sled. Its better with the dual port muffler but it idles like trash. With 16” bars, it would be real close.

Something is wrong with that 361. :msp_unsure:

And here I thought I was running the shortest bar of anyone with a 361. Definately keeps a little weight off and if you don't need to cut anything that requires a bigger bar than stick to it. I like mine where it's at, 18". If my 390 wasn't in near mint condition I would part with it and run a 20" bar on the 361 to take both of their places.

And here I thought I was running the shortest bar of anyone with a 361. Definately keeps a little weight off and if you don't need to cut anything that requires a bigger bar than stick to it. I like mine where it's at, 18". If my 390 wasn't in near mint condition I would part with it and run a 20" bar on the 361 to take both of their places.

Replace that 390 with another 361! :smile2:

Anyone running this setup? I just feel that 20" is longer than I need for 80% of my wood.

Man that would rip! Especially with an 8pin. I remember seeing someone on here a few months ago with an 18" or 20" on an 066. Talk about the ability to keep your chain speed through the cut.....

Something is wrong with that 361. :msp_unsure:

Unfortunately, no there is nothing wrong with it or at least nothing that the best techs at stihl can figure out. Lots of things are right with my little dolmar. Longer bars, sure the stihl will pull away from the dolmar but 16” hardwood? No diffy and I would give the edge to the dolmar for higher chain speed.

Unfortunately, no there is nothing wrong with it or at least nothing that the best techs at stihl can figure out. Lots of things are right with my little dolmar. Longer bars, sure the stihl will pull away from the dolmar but 16” hardwood? No diffy and I would give the edge to the dolmar for higher chain speed.

It sounds like the carb may be set too rich on the H side of that 361, and maybe too lean on the L side? :msp_unsure:

Replace that 390 with another 361! :smile2:

I really only need and should just keep the 16,18,25" saws but kinda attached to that 390 since it was purchased from original owner in like new condition and was my best/newest saw that helped start my cad problem. At least my cad problem has slowed down and I did get rid of a couple for now.

Man that would rip! Especially with an 8pin. I remember seeing someone on here a few months ago with an 18" or 20" on an 066. Talk about the ability to keep your chain speed through the cut.....

I'm a saw mod retard(hey, I'm a 11C!). What size pin is stock? Changing pin size would affect what chain I buy right? Only asking as I was thinking of going to the shop today and getting a new bar and chain but maybe I should order a new pin.

If it was the only saw I had I'd run a 16 and a 20. As it is, if I need a 20-inch bar, I pick up my 60cc saw. If I need a 16 inch bar, I pick up my 50cc saw, 25 inch bar my 70cc saw. You get the idea. :rock:

If it was the only saw I had I'd run a 16 and a 20. As it is, if I need a 20-inch bar, I pick up my 60cc saw. If I need a 16 inch bar, I pick up my 50cc saw, 25 inch bar my 70cc saw. You get the idea. :rock:

Yeah, thats pretty much what I'm doing now. It just that I know that the 361 will kick the 290's ass with a 16" bar. Would probably make me sell the 290 which I bought new in June. I just got the 361 in sept, brand new!

I ran my 361 with the 16 inch es bar for a while. It now has an 18 es bar as I put the 16 on a 260 pro to convert to 3/8 x .50 The 16 inch on the 361 was fast cutting, balanced well and I really liked using it on smaller logs for firewood when bucking.
Also ran the 16 inch bar a few times on my ms460/ really had to be careful as it was almost too fast going through the wood//

16/18/20 work well on that saw. If the 290 is in good shape sell it/trade it while it is like new. IMHO if you have a 361 you will never pick the 290 up again..

happy cutting..

Yeah, thats pretty much what I'm doing now. It just that I know that the 361 will kick the 290's ass with a 16" bar. Would probably make me sell the 290 which I bought new in June. I just got the 361 in sept, brand new!

Yes, get rid of the MS290 turd! :smile2:

Keep the 290 with a 16-inch on it and run it lightly as a backup. Never know if you might need a backup, and with two saws of that quality that new, if you keep them maintained well you'll have many, many years of great cutting ahead.

Just the way I look at it.

I'm assuming your 361 is set up for 3/8 chain. Most 290s in this part of the country come out of the store with .325. If so, in order for your 16 and 20 inch bars to be swappable, of course you'd need to convert the 290 to 3/8, but it's an inexpensive and easy swap, and the 290 has plenty of power to run 3/8 on a 16 inch bar.

Sure is nice when you can swap B&Cs out between different saws as needed.

Last edited:
Back