165 Efco long term test

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought my former 165 for resale, est. run 12 + tanks trouble free with a 24" hardnose bar. The new owner runs a half way house for men returning to society and has cut a lot of big trees with it this spring, cleaned up some blow downs this summer from several big winds and has a huge stockpile of firewood for their facility. Other then wearing out a chain I'm aware of no problems .

I sold the 165 to a firewood guy. He runs it every day. The only trouble he has had was with the switch.

Ive noticed two things about efco switches....they suck and are unreliable due to their design. Once a year I have to take each switch apart and clean its contacts and then reassemble. In the back it has "vents" or holes for some reason.....anyways...on EVERY one of my efco switches...they get packed with saw dust fines and no longer make contact......once i clean them they shut the saw off again for about a year..other wise i have to use the choke to kill the saw.....do that for a year and see how much carbon builds up in the saw....also this sometimes cracks the back of the muffler around the screw holes.(super hot then doused in cool gas....I heard mine crack..it popped and made a hell of a sound) Ive even packed the switches with light bulb grease(silicon grease)....ive even sealed the back off with silicon sealant....fines still get in through the front even with the rubber thing still on the switch. Hope that helps those with efco switch problems....I recommend measuring the switch and hit up a company called mousers............its a place that will sell on/off switches for any app....its where mfg's get their switches alot of the times. Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor Just know what size u need and the correct 2 prong connector....there are about 1.5 million different ones...lol

Ive noticed two things about efco switches....they suck and are unreliable due to their design. Once a year I have to take each switch apart and clean its contacts and then reassemble. In the back it has "vents" or holes for some reason.....anyways...on EVERY one of my efco switches...they get packed with saw dust fines and no longer make contact......once i clean them they shut the saw off again for about a year..other wise i have to use the choke to kill the saw.....do that for a year and see how much carbon builds up in the saw....also this sometimes cracks the back of the muffler around the screw holes.(super hot then doused in cool gas....I heard mine crack..it popped and made a hell of a sound) Ive even packed the switches with light bulb grease(silicon grease)....ive even sealed the back off with silicon sealant....fines still get in through the front even with the rubber thing still on the switch. Hope that helps those with efco switch problems....I recommend measuring the switch and hit up a company called mousers............its a place that will sell on/off switches for any app....its where mfg's get their switches alot of the times. Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor Just know what size u need and the correct 2 prong connector....there are about 1.5 million different ones...lol
Thanks for the heads up. Haven't had the problem but from your experience know I will unless I clean them. Thanks! Bob

Latest posts

Back