1800's saw mill (& tractors)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Engineeringnerd

Engineeringnerd

ArboristSite Operative
Each year a Inman Georgia, a small town South of Atlanta celebrates its farm heritage. I thought my chainsaw buds might enjoy a little footage of the tractors, gadgets, and a steam tractor/saw mill at the end. If you don't have a really fast internet connection you may need to press "play", then "pause" to allow the piece to load for a few seconds before pressing "play" to view. You can just fast forward to 4:00 if you only want to see the sawmill:

http://vimeo.com/1773643

It's about time for me to hang up the camera and pick up the saw for a while.

Last edited:
woodshop

woodshop

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thanks, I really enjoyed looking at that. First thing I ever drove was an old John Deere A as a kid on my Grandfathers farm. We have something here in PA every year also similar to that, old tractors, steam engines, farm equipment, a sawmill etc. I didn't get to it this year but wish I had.

thanks for posting it

Engineeringnerd

Engineeringnerd

ArboristSite Operative
It's really interesting to see how simple and ingenious this old machinery is. I love the ice cream shop powered by a hit-or-miss engine. It's also easy to see how so many people were injured by farm equipment back then. Not a lot of safety guards in place!

2FatGuys

2FatGuys

ArboristSite Guru
There is a similar show in Denton, NC on Saturday 10/25. It is the Horse and Mule show, but has a LOT of steam equipment. There will be an old Frick sawmill runiing as well as an old veneer mill. They also demonstrat logging with horses and oxen and sometimes have a small lumberjack competition.

Hope to see you all there...

cjk

ArboristSite Operative
Cool stuff

The Dodge County Antique Power Club puts on a show the first weekend in August every year in Burnett Wi. We have been going every year lately. They Just installed a sawmill last year that is powered by a steam engine. All kinds of old equipment being used there that weekend.

I highly recommend it, wear good walking shoes!

Latest posts